Cavallo Simple boots

goponygo

Jul 18, 2008
Hello :)

New to the board and new to barefoot, well kind of. Farrier took shoes off in June, terrible trouble trying to arrange for visit from trimmer so doing everything i think i should be doing and not looking too bad so far :D

Anyway, have measured feet (have been trimmed and look as though there won't be any more coming off them lengthwise) and got size 1 boots - she is at very top end of measurement so went smaller rather than bigger.

Have put them them on and while they don't move forward and back there is ever so slightly a movement if you try and turn them clockwise/anticlockwise. They don't turn but they do very slightly wobble!

Anyone had any experience with these boots and is this ok?

(for any hoof geeks there are piccies here - not updated with latest ones yet so these are from June - Before farrier http://www.oakfordepona.com/images/June08Beforefarrier/index.html and after farrier http://www.oakfordepona.com/images/June08Afterfarrier/index.html)

Thankies

Different types of boot fit different shapes of feet, however, there isnt aboot for every horse! you may need to chop up a camping mat or mousemat and make some shims to pad the sides to prevent twisting.

I bought a pair of cavallo simple boots last year size 5, for my cob. I planned to use them just on the front. I dont know if I got the right size they seemed ok but I found they rubbed the back of her heels so I put old socks over them.
I liked the boots but I had problems with her unprotected back feet getting an abcess and I chickened out of barefoot altogether.
I think I may take her shoes off this winter again though so I may use the boots then if I ride.
I couldnt twist them around on her foot but there was some give. Check with the website it may help. Good luck!

look at my post 3 weeks ago - too big at top? cavello.

didnt get any help here, but cavello are great if you email them.

I've just bought some cavallo boots, i wasn't sure which size to order 4 or 5, i thought 4 as that is what he fell in after a fresh trim but thought maybe a 5 for his feet to grow. I emailed cavallo and they suggested size 5 so i got them from the saddleryshop on hire just case they were wrong. They turned out to be far too big about half cm to cm gap around the side and a gap at the front so sent them back and got the size 4. They are nice and snug and just twist slightly if i try and twist them and they are a bit too snug on his heels i think, they might rub. I've only just really started work with him today did about 20mins long reining in the school, no twisting and when i took them they didn't look like they'd rubbed a lot but there was a mark on the boot where his heels go, he is quite flat footed and probably has under run heels. Overall though i am quite pleased with them he seems quite comfy in them and will walk over the stones not a problem. I think the cavallo website says that if you try and twist them and there is a slight twist then they should be ok. Like i say i can twist mine a bit but when he's moving they stay put quite nicely and he has a very slight dish as well i think.

newrider.com