carriage driving surface

Dawny

Jan 6, 2010
Berkshire
My neighbour is having an out door school built soon and I think she said the surface with be rubber and sand. She has said I can use it to drive in but I have no knowledge of surfaces. can anyone advise how suitable this would be. My vehicle has numatics and my pony is a shetland.

he might find it a bit heavy, but you ought to be okay on pneumatics.

I have occasional use of outdoor schools with sand and rubber. The pneumatic tyres on my old cart were fine, even when the surface was a bit "heavy" with rain. It was a bit harder going with solid wheels recently, when the surface of one was renewed and still very soft and deep but still OK.

As the others have said, you will be fine with pneumatics, never had a problem with shetlands on any surface, they are the ATVs of the equine world :D But obviously if it is very deep then any horse would struggle, should be fine though if you have pneumatics and it is suitable for riding on.

I have shetties, I drive. My surface is carpet shreds on sand. Its perfect. Driving instructors is rubber sand mix. No probs. Its more about the drainageIMHO. A well drained surface is fab.

newrider.com