carriage driving injury!

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
My boss's mum had a driving competition with the Shetlands yesterday and I was backstepping for her. I was bounced right off my feet during a river crossing - partly due to only holding on with one hand, as the other was holding Penny's BP to try and keep her in her seat! - and I came down hard, smacking my upper chest against the bar in front of me.
I was winded despite being in a decent BP (am very glad I was wearing it!), my chest got increasingly sore throughout the rest of the day, and it was also getting painful in my upper back at the same height as the chest tenderness. I guessed it was just muscle pain and a jolted ribcage so put myself to bed early with a hot water bottle and Ibuprofen.
Needless to say I woke up this morning in a lot more pain, front and back but especially in front, I couldn't breathe properly and found myself getting dressed in tears. I am pretty good with this sort of pain and need chiro treatment quite often, so kind of knew it was a bit worse than usual!
Boss's mum insisted taking me for an X-ray - though I just wanted to go straight to my chiro, he works minor miracles on my body on a regular basis and I fear I may worship him just a little too much :redface: So off we went to the walk-in clinic, 2hrs and lots of euros later I am home with a diagnosis of bruised cartilage and a cracked rib where it meets the sternum. The same rib was out of place around the back, which accounted for the corresponding back pain. Both explaining the breathing difficulty, thankfully nothing more sinister.

Seriously how have I managed to fall off horses about 200 times and not get a proper injury, and then crack a rib whilst backstepping without even coming off the carriage! Just glad I had a BP on is all I can say!

((On the plus side - the ponies were AMAZING as usual, they won their category by a total of 30 seconds and also had the best time of the day across all classes :dance:))

Yeah that would be ideal :redface: Although to be fair, if I hadn't grabbed onto Penny she'd have been out the side door!

Omg so sorry to hear that. But I have a ditto story of my most serious horsey accident i did was without falling off! So your not alone!!

I was out hunting when I was 16, and we were coming to a triangular jump which had metal poles either side now my pony was generally lazy and everyone was moving quite fast and i thought the last thing I need him to do right now is put the breaks on and not jump so I put my arm out to smack him on the ass to prevent greater accident and caught my hand on the top of the metal post and broke 3 bones in my thumb! I was running so high on adrenaline I didn't notice till i got home after putting pony away! and saw my thumb wasn't quite in the right position!

It's safer than horse riding statistically.

Yeah... and studding up horses is statistically safer than galloping around an XC course, but there will always be some idiot who manages to injure themselves with the stud pick :redface:

I'm afraid I found it a bit difficult to take photos whilst clinging onto the back of the carriage Lauzy :tongue: but yeah I have to say, without a camera in my hand I felt like I was only doing half a job :giggle: Boss's dad got some good action shots so will try and get copies of those. I did get a few before and after though, sorry it's a bit of a pathetic contribution but tis all I could manage!

DSC05938.jpg

DSC05935.jpg

DSC05941.jpg

DSC05944.jpg

DSC05947.jpg

What you need is a GO-pro helmet cam, then we can all watch you come a pisser next time! Send it to you've been framed and get your £250.

Oh Wally you have no idea how much I'd like a decent helmet cam! They are all out of my budget!

newrider.com