Carriage Driving for the blind

MAC66

Jun 18, 2009
Kent
I have discovered that our local RDA group have a carriage driving section. So as I am now registered as blind and not able to ride I thought I would give it a try. I had a lovely long chat with the organiser and am going meet them and see what they do. I have sometimes thought about learning to drive and now seems a good opportunity to give it a try. Although I am in touch with everyone at the yard and know how Mac is doing and see him regularly I miss being able to doing things myself . Mac need not worry about being broken to harness though as he would need a vehicle the size of a farm wagon or a brewers dray!

I used to take a totally blind fellow hacking, I felt bad once as I forgot to tell him to duck approaching a low branch! :(

Reactions: juliecwuk
Yes go for it !!
I know someone in the midwest that took a blind friend trail riding when they came out.
They also used voice signals and omg she said he loved speed and even jumped.
He is a very successful lawyer and did not let blindness impeed him at all.
I do think that maybe the did not let on to his wife that he jumped and did more than a walk:rolleyes:
I am sure that they never compromised safety;)

Thanks for all your replies and encouragement. Sorry for delay replying but things have been a bit difficult of late. But yesterday we met the people from the Riding for Disabled who made us really welcome. I thought I was just going to meet them and have a chat but before I knew it I was in a little carriage (with an instructor) and I was driving a pony down to their outdoor school where I did lots of different movements like circles, serpentines etc. all in walk. I was asked if I wanted to trot but thought I would save that for next time. I have to fill out some forms then I will be going back regularly. I'm told I had a big grin on my face all the time I was doing it.

I am so glad to read this, and with Chev hacking too. A good bit of horsey happiness in spite of all the obstacles.

So glad you enjoyed it.
I put mine back in the cart yesterday. He's not been driven since Feb.
I had a tear in my eye when I got back to the yard as he was just fab and didn't put a foot wrong. Couldn't believe that he was so good. It was a year ago that he first went into carriage.

Reactions: Gimp
newrider.com