career advice needed totally lost!!

anna15

anna15
Feb 18, 2007
west yorkshire
so today i have come home from college in tears once again.. i have taken maths, biology, chemistry and accounts, and i really cannot stand it! i really enjoy maths, because i am up to date with the work and have a brilliant teacher. Although biology and chemistry is another story, my teachers really are rubbish! im a capable student in my opinion, yet im getting consistent Us! even though i got BB at gcse, im always having arguments with my teachers, as for example today in biology, 'miss i really dont understand whats going on in this diagram?' she ignored me and moved on, i repeated myself 3times untill she said 'whats wrong now?' i reply 'i cant understand whats going on in this diagram' (the majority of the class understood, but she is useless at explaining things) my teacher said 'look we need to move on, we dont have time for this' she doesnt have time to teach me?? yet she has time to chat to the other students about things irrelevant from the course!:mad:

So basically im seriously considering dropping out, i have lost all motivation for the subjects, which is quite sad as i used to really enjoy sciences, and wanted a career from it. so i am now considering being a farrier, although i spoke to my friend who did 3years and then left, he said its incredibly difficult to get an atf, and they usually dont like taking on girls. so im looking for any info on this, and also considering vetinary nursing, so would like some info on salarys etc. and personal experiences.
I really dont know what to do! :(

If you enjoy, and are good at, maths and accounts - there's your career!

Accountants, accounting technicians and bookkeepers are always in demand all over the world, in the countryside and the city. You could be employed by a glamorous high-profile firm, by a long-established rural/regional company, or be self-employed. You could work from home, from a plush office, or even be mobile.

it's also something that is well-paid and which you will be able to do, full-time or part-time, almost whatever your physical condition (accidents, advanced pregnancy, long-term illness etc).

ALL businesses need accountants and book-keepers - from the ILPH to the local riding school, from a small trainer to the National Stud. You could aim to be a equine accountant! Or you could work for yourself, able to set your own timetable to fit in serious riding instead of jigsawing it around set working hours.

It all depends what you want - look at what you want to do and what you need to do to get there. Then think outside the square and all sorts of doors and windows will open which you didn't even know were there.

I took both Biology and Chemistry at college and would be more than willing to help if your stuck!

If you do enjoy these subjects then it is worth continuing your studies.

Have you spoke to your parents about it? Would they talk to the college about your problems? Sometimes we need back up and reassurance from our parents! I think it is disgusting that your teacher has this attitude!

Farriery is very hard work, although I am not trying to put you off!

What would you do if you decide not to continue college and did not get accepted to do farriery?

i just have no idea what i would do! the thing is i hate accounting:eek: i used to enjoy sciences, but my teachers are crap, my chemistry teacher is fine in the lessons, but we then get random tests where i see stuff ive never heard about in my life, and her excuse is that we should be reading up on things in our own time. Fair enough, but how can i read up on something ive never heard about!
My biology teacher has it in for me.. she just wont stop and explain things to me! personaly i think she is just lazy:rolleyes:
trouble is even if i pass maths and accounts, i need 3 Cs at A2 at least, to get into uni and do accounting.
Im just really hating it at the moment! and i just dont feel motivated to go and do extra work for sciences, i do allot for maths because i have a great teacher who makes me want to succeed!

I am a biology teacher - you can definitely ask me for help - and i have chem and maths alevels and physics, yay so i can help you with it all!

please dont hesitate to ask

I think you need to sit down and talk to your parents about the problems you are having! Your teacher should take time to help you, whether that is after your lesson or with an arranged appointment.

How are your friends coping in the lessons?

Have you been given the syllabus for chemistry? As this should tell you what you need to learn

Like zippylady said you are more than welcome to ask me for help!

Just think, if you decide to drop out, you will have very little qualifications, which may affect the rest of your life (with out sounding harsh).

What about a change of college? Are there any others in the area that you could go and have a look around? It would be a shame to give up just because of poor teaching, if you could find better teachers.

thank you! the majority of the people in my biology and chemistry goups are getting e/u! ive spoken to my parents, and they have said basically if its not for me, its not for me, and there will be other routes : /
Its just depressing because i know i could do it! but my teachers drive me mad, ive spoken to my tutor enough times and nothing has been said or done.
im going to see if i can move biology group, and i may try drop chemistry and pick up something like statistics.:)

hey, not all teachers are lazy ;O) there are moments, i agree, like at 11pm when there is a mountain of books taking over the kitchen table!!!!! we are nice really :D

What about a change of college? Are there any others in the area that you could go and have a look around? It would be a shame to give up just because of poor teaching, if you could find better teachers.

i suppose i could consider my old schools sixth form, but i cant see them being much better i hated my old school! i may just keep going at least untill ive done my As's and see what i come out with, hopefully i will be pleasently suprised!:eek:

hey, not all teachers are lazy ;O) there are moments, i agree, like at 11pm when there is a mountain of books taking over the kitchen table!!!!! we are nice really :D
i love most of my teachers!:p just my science ones are nuts, biology teacher taught me the wrong thing twice, then when i proved her wrong she wouldnt admit too it! she tried to tell me that 1decimetre cubed was equel to 10cm cubed!:rolleyes:

thank you! the majority of the people in my biology and chemistry goups are getting e/u! ive spoken to my parents, and they have said basically if its not for me, its not for me, and there will be other routes : /
Its just depressing because i know i could do it! but my teachers drive me mad, ive spoken to my tutor enough times and nothing has been said or done.
im going to see if i can move biology group, and i may try drop chemistry and pick up something like statistics.:)

It sounds like (imo) that it is possibly the teacher and communication (no offense zippylady)!
If you have the determination to do it then it is possible! I bought books for both my as and a2 biology and chemistry (will try and find out which later for you) they were both good and made everything simple!
See how you do in your as's!

ohhhh i cant remember, i never do decimetres, but thinking about it, yes a decimetre is a litre. which is 1000cm cubed

ahhhh i know what she meant. 10 cubed is 1000. so 1 decimetre is equal to 10cm cubed as a decimetre is 1000.

deci - 10, metre = 100 so decimetre is 10 * 100 = 1000

that mad sense in my mind, i have probably confused even einstein with that lot

yes you see i understand that! but i think shes confused with them herself, im not joking she really has a lack of commonsence, and she always gets things wrong.

What would you like to do with science? There's alot of things you could do science wise and a lot of things you can do maths and accounting wise. Don't let unhelpful teachers put you off, I had trouble understanding some aspects of chemistry as one of my module teachers wasn't that great at explaining stuff so I ended up having private tuition. I don't know if that's an option for you or if there's a university near you, you could ask if any undergraduate science students would be willing to help in explaining the bits your teachers can't or won't.

If you have a love of science, please don't be put off. I'm involved in trying to get people to stay in science in uni and we need more people like you!! I'd also like to offer my help with anything (biology, chemistry or statistics, never could get my head round physics!!). Wishing you all the very best.

no idea! i wanted to do forensics, but then i was told there are barely any jobs at the end so im now reconsidering. I just took them to keep my options open, but really have no idea as there is so much you can do!
Thanks for the replys btw really cheered me up :)

if you are considering forensics, don't waste your time doing a forensics degree as it will not lead to a job. CSI has driven the numbers of students wanting to do these kinds of courses sky high and job supply is miniscule. If forensics interests you, join the police and get into it that way :)

Please don't slag teachers off. I'm a student teacher myself (in chemistry ;) ). Yes, there are a lot of unsuitable people out there teaching who don't have their priorities in the right place but if it's that bad you need to be complaining to the school. or have you tried speaking to the teacher direct? i always tell my students to ask if they don't understand and offer up my lunchtimes and after school for additional help.

newrider.com