car and trailer or 3.5 box?

a car and trailer (provided you then use the car as your only car and don't end up running two cars I guess). a box will need MOT etc etc. on top of your every day car. I also worked out a box is only really worth keeping and running if you go out almost every weekend. a trailer can sit there unused and doesn't cost you anything.
downside of the trailer is you need to get the license for it unless you're 'old' ...

This isn’t an easy question to answer. There are pros and cons to both.

What kind of car you would be swapping to buy a 4 x 4? If you are going from a small, efficient car to a big gas guzzling 4 x 4, it’s going to cost more money on all your daily journeys. It depends on how far you drive.

We recently looked into buying an older 4x4 to pull a fairly new trailer. We didn’t want to swap one of our daily cars because they are both small and don’t cost much to run, so we looked into buying an old defender as a 3rd car to pull a newish horsebox.

Even for £5,000, we couldn’t find much in the way of a good defender. Anything that we did find was very old and not too much of a risk. On top of that, we would have had to find a trailer.

We opted for a 3.5 tonne horsebox which cost just under £5,000. I LOVE it so much!!! Driving a horsebox is much better and safer than pulling a trailer, plus I have a lovely little living area to keep all my stuff and chill out in. Yes, you have to MOT and tax it etc. but you also need to maintain a trailer.

There is no right and wrong answer, you need to think about what is right for you.

A trailer will almost always be cheaper to run. An older 4x4 will however cost you - not for the purchase, but for the maintenance and a newer 4x4 will cost you tax wise - as the government decided that newer 4x4's fall into a wildly expensive road tax - I know this to my cost!

However, it will very much depend how much mileage you do I would say. If you do low miles, you will probably be better off with a 4x4, because unless you use your box a lot, it will stand around and inevitably deteriorate.

Either is going to cost you - as does everything remotely rurally connected!

newrider.com