Cantering

I get that with Evie Flipo. I always end up riding with my leg forward, particularly in canter. I wouldn't worry about that too much, its the shape of them, If flipo is anything like Evie, she seems to do a huge lurch from behind in the transition, its the big arse and power house that does it. I think you need the leg forward, if mine was back I wouldn't stay in balance. Its totally different from a general riding horse.

I would just concentrate on relaxing and keeping balanced. The leg forward will be useful anyway in case he does 'take off' it will give you more anchorage to slow him down:smile:

Try also to keep your upper body straight, and your shoulders open, don't lean back or forward, just sit, and Flipo's bum will come up under you instead of possibly chucking you forward out of contact.

Thanks Tina, I will keep that in mind on our next attempt. I just feel really good that I can actually try to take these things on board....rather than just holding on for dear life lol!
I think maybe its got something to do with how wide they are? Evie seems like a similar build, so as well as rocking forward and backward in their canter, there might be a sideways element to it that is putting us in a diagonal situation?! I guess it will serve as a clue to which leg is leading?!

One thing though - I don't know if its flipo being so wide, or my crap riding, but my right leg tends to get forced more forward when we are cantering and it's almost like I'm twisted in the saddle a bit because of it. Does anyone else have this experience? I thought it was my stirrups being uneven so changed to new ones but its still happening. Little disconcerting!

I find this with our Jack in trot - he kind of rolls side to side and I end up feeling as though I'm twisting when I'm rising. It's only seems to be when he's rushing or not balanced though, so if I can collect him back into a steady trot it's better. I know just what you mean though, it does feel odd and I get very frustrated when I can't stop it!

Sounds like you're doing really well with your canter. I have a mental block about cantering in the school, I think Raf will fall over on the corners, but I can do it if my RI is there. One tip she gave me for getting the right strike off is to rise on the wrong diagonal in trot before asking for canter - Raf is very one sided and struggles on the left rein so to get him to strike off with his left fore I have to trot round on the left rein but rising on the opposite diagonal then ask him to go straight into canter on a corner. Something do do with the canter starting in the opposite hind leg and your weight on that leg etc, can't remember exactly it's far too complicated! It always works though, although it's obviously only good for getting them onto the correct lead so you can practice, it doesn't make for a 'correct' transition, but hopefully that will come later.

Oh this was lovely to read and well done. It is very strange that for some people cantering in a school is terrifying but for others it is out hacking.

LWTB will tell you I don't really like hacking and I am serous school buff but over the years have made myself hack and canter even gallop Ginger at one point but it is not easy for me and I have to tell myself to relax and enjoy:giggle:

Like you I started with short bursts until I was happy with the transiation but I alway find the ask out hacking is so different from in the school. In the school I go in to sitting trot and just ask and get it. on a hack I am normally in rising trot and never sit before I ask meaning that sometimes is it not a nice change and I feel unbalanced.

That said sometimes I can be cantering along and I feel secure and enjoy it other times I don't and I can't understand what is different.

Good luck and keep trying. By the way at the show it does not matter how long you canter for, the ground was really bad last week and I refuse to canter for too long on the old boy I was riding.

I sometimes have the fear of falling over in the corners as well.

I try and concentrate on the transitions first then 'keep going till I say stop' (unless I am on the wrong leg). I then keep my leg on to keep 'forward' but also use the reins to collect and achieve balance.

When teaching the horse the transition, I like to be in a big area, where I don't have to worry about corners or lack of balance or even necessarily the right leg. I do use a corner for the transition to help with the right leg strike off.

I concentrate more on smaller circles and corners once the horse is more balanced and has established what I want him/her to do.

newrider.com