cantering!!

silverstar

Jan 26, 2012
Just out of interest- I've been riding now for the past 8 months or so and the thing I always ask for on every lesson is to ride a different horse!! I've really found that some have an amazing canter to sit to, some have a difficult canter to sit to and others are like marmite- some people love the canter and can sit really well to it and some people just hate it and can't :) Now the one thing I hate to do is bump around in the saddle and so have worked a lot on sitting well in the saddle, and others now say i look 'glued' to it (although some of that may be owed to my sticky jodhpurs :p)....Now what I was wondering is....when you are really experienced (like years down the line), can you just get on any horse and sit well to the canter and not bounce?!!!!! or do you still find it a lil difficult on certain horses???

A horse with a good canter is "off the forehand" ie is pushing itself from the hind legs and each stride is a little jump. A horse "on the forehand" is difficult to sit to as the movement will flip you out of the saddle. So yes, every canter is different!

If you bounce go into a light forward seat and try again next time.

Here is a good vid for how to sit canter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbbm_U9MdPc&feature=channel&list=UL

Last edited:
I did once ride a horse that seemed to have a canter I could not sit to. I left that RS in the end as I was falling off too often.

newrider.com