cantering

jodiana

Feb 15, 2012
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice, i have recently had canter issues. I couldnt quite sit the transaction correctly which after a few lessons on a older more experienced horse im now able to give the canter aid and sit the canter fab however i seem to have hit another wall steering!

My mare is 5 and i understand she will be a little unbalanced due to her age but sometimes she leans to side to the point i worry shes going to slip underneath me?

Also now we have fixed the canter transaction but she instantly cuts out all corners and pretty much canters a small circle of the school what am i doing wrong?

She gets very sensitive when pulling the reins alot of head shaking ive had her teeth checked and she is fine not sure if this is young behaviour??

so im keeping my inside leg on and pulling back on the outside rein but she isnt going out to the edge im exhausted and we aint moving forward any advice would be appreciated

jodie

I don't have much experience with youngsters however from what you are saying I would use more inside leg with some little give and takes on the inside rein and give the outside rein to encourage her to bend to the inside, but you will need a strong inside leg to stop her falling in. Do not pull on the outside rein as this will unbalance her and encourage her to look toward the outside instead.

When my boy falls in I tend to think 'leg yield" outwards. I know she probably wouldn't have done this yet and doesn't need to but just thinking the aids for leg yield helps to stop the falling in on a circle or turn across the school.

newrider.com