Cantering Problems

Jackie+Cooper

Jun 9, 2020
Hi. My horse, Cooper, and I have recently started working towards doing long trail rides and I have asked my parents how to get him to canter. He just trots faster or stops and its becoming really frustrating. They say that because the saddle is old and doesn't fit right, it could be painful to canter. Dad also said because he is twelve, he's too old and lazy. I think he wants to canter, but I want to do what's right for him. Please help!

I'd say get your saddle checked over. Twelve isn't old! Not in my experience. I don't think age prevents cantering, but ill fitting tack does - or pain coming from somewhere. He may well be a bit lazy but to give him the benefit of the doubt, check with your vet. Maybe he's got some stiffness somewhere that hurts a bit more when cantering. It's difficult to tell without knowing his history - but I'd always say phoning the vet for a chat might be a good start.

Reactions: Huggy
My pony Ziggy always loved to canter, and he was 19 when he had to be put to sleep. The only thing that ever slowed him up was when I had done something wrong with his tack, like not noticed a crease in the saddlecloth. If your pony is reluctant I would definitely get his saddle fit checked first.

At my yard is a 41 year old who will still enjoy a short canter! If you know your saddle doesn't fit then that has to be first priority, it's vary unfair to ride in tack you know doesn't fit - would you want to walk or run in badly fitting shoes?

Wow, please get your parents to get the saddle checked. If its that badly fitting he may well need a new one. They are quite expensive though. But if it needs a new saddle you should get it sorted. Please do not ride a horse if the saddle is fitting badly. You can cause irreversible damage.

Does your horse canter in the field without anyone riding him.

12 is not old. My horse is now 24. He is still able to canter on a ride. Although he is now at the point that it is becoming an effort. A horse at 12 refusing to canter is either not being asked correctly by the rider, or the horse is in some kind of discomfort. If it is discomfort and you get him to canter you could well find yourself deposited on the floor.

Please get yourself an instructor to help you. It may well be if you are inexperienced novice rider that you are not asking the horse correctly to canter. A riding instructor will be able to teach you this.

newrider.com