Cantering on hack - stand up or sit down?

MaisieMoo

Oct 19, 2007
I have noticed that I am developing a habit of always either standing up slightly in my stirrups or going into my "jumping position" when I canter and even trot Mr C on a off road hack - he seems to have much more power in his stride when he's outand I find it much easier to go slightly forward rather than sit and absorb the movement as I do in the school.

It feels really natural to me but is it the correct thing to do? I don't want to somehow make it more difficult for him but I assume it's better for him as I'm up off his back, still balanced and giving more with my hands?

While hacking I dont think it matters too much and if you are out for long periods of time it will be fairer on the horses back but I can imagine little habits forming as a result so just watch your seat in the school ;)

I must admit I do tend to go into a slightly lightened seat when cantering out hacking just because the ground is uneven and I find it gives me more balance, although I have been known to sit deep but normally that's when I'm schooling on hacks only

If i am schooling I sit but out the hack I stand, I just think that wen your cantering out the hack the ground can be un even and there fore the horse will be more balanced should things go wrong rather than you sitting their.

Might just be my take on things but If Kia stumbles I am automatically out of the saddle to let him get his balance anyway.

Nikki xxxx

I take a forward seat too when i'm cantering on a hack :) Just habit i think! I don't think there is a right or wrong way, whatever is comfortable.

It depends how fast we're going.

My hack canters are always a fair bit faster going than school canters so I lighten my seat and get off their backs. Especially if the ground is uneven, I'm far more balanced that way.

My canter seat isn't the most balanced in the world anyway (working on it) so it seems the best thing all round at the moment.

Depends on how 'energetic' (i.e. loopy) Mr Ace is feeling.. If we are having an 'emerdale' canter (you sing the theme tune to emerdale in your head and go at that speed, if you speed up the song you're going too fast!) I sit deep and we look fab. If I'm letting him let off steam I go into a slightly more forward position but still with my weight in the saddle... you try stopping him!! Lol.

Always go into a lighter seat - it just seems more comfortable for both of us.

It depends on what sort of canter I'm asking for. :D I never "let him go" when I'm in the saddle, because he has plenty of turnout time for letting off steam, so I generally try to keep his mind ticking over, even when cantering.
Sitting and absorbing the movement creates what I call "first gear canter". It's chilled and relaxed, covers ground without being flat out speed. If I lighten my seat, we get "second gear" - his body stretches and the speed increases but it's not quite a four-beat gallop. I use the first to balance him, such as when a straight track becomes a slight bend (but still safe to canter round) and to give him a variety of transitions to work through whilst out hacking, but I only use the "first gear" in the school. There just isn't the space otherwise!

(you sing the theme tune to emerdale in your head and go at that speed, if you speed up the song you're going too fast!)

Thats is so funny! hahahaha why sing it in your head! Why not sing it at the top of your voice? :p

If schooling I am in the saddle and to a certain extent when I am jumping.

If out on a hack I am up off the seat. Tylers more balanced and can produced a lovely canter with out me bopping around in his back lol

Thanks everyone!

I've not done much hacking prior to buying Mr C and this last few weeks has been my first really opportunity to get out there and have a really good blast:D It was like an automatic reaction to come up off his back and like some of you have mentioned, I felt much more balanced and generally more comfortable although it's a bit scary when your horse is a no neck monster!:p

If I'm going to put into a fast canter then I stand, if I am aiming to see how slow I can get her to go then I sit so I can use my seat better. :)

I was taught to stand out hacking. However, if said horse is going too fast, or I want to steady up, I sit deep into the saddle.
However, I find if I'm energetic and want to go for a good blast, I stand up and have been known to do a rather humourous jockey impression :eek:

Oh def go forward seat when out hacking! Holly's canter is much more energetic when we're out, and as she's only a pone I find it uncomfortable to sit to. Always sit deep in the school, and she knows the difference between 'fun' and 'work' canters now.

i do both
gallop i stand
canter i stand or sit depends on my mood or how strong he is
ALTHOUGH the best way for the horse to develop their own canter, is to have us standing, it lets allt heir muscles free
:D
X

if im having a fast canter on a hack then i do stand up slightly in my stirrups. it feels so much more balanced that way :)

at the start of the hack i always sit for a few times just to get into the rhythm and then for the rest of it i stand up...i find this comfyer and kinder to the horse especiall on long hacks :D

I don't have any brakes unless I stand up! When I pull Autumn up her canter gets bouncier and bouncier until shes jumping about on the spot before she finally gives in and drops back to trot, and you should try doing that while sitting down!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

newrider.com