Cantering arrgg

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
:):)Gingers canter is his weakest pace and we often get comments reference needing more 'jump' to get higher marks. This has now become a sticking point and we have been struggling to get past this problem.

In ever lesson the RI tries to get us to go forward more and he just gets really tight through his back and shuffles. You can actually let the reins drop on his neck and ask for forward and he will not go. I have heard that this is quite common for ex racer horses as they learn a forward canter or gallop and nothing inbetween. He has also taken to curling round my inside leg creating to much bend which then does not allow forwardness then bucks when asked to move. He also drops behind my leg. So lots of issues

Now thing got so bad my RI stripped it right back in last weeks lesson. Firstly in trot I had to make sure he was riding straight and not curled round my inside leg then I was told to let go of the front end take up a loose out side rein and only touch the inside as a quick turning aid if needed to ride off my outside completely. The plan is to get him forward. Once we had forward I was allowed to pick up more outside rein.

I then practice this every time I rode just forward not contact. This was followed with a SJ lesson doing lots of walk to canter. then a fast canter hack with minium contact so he learns he can go forward.

Moving on to todays lesson. He started stuffy as always but started on the canter as above then my RI side time to get on a ride him correctly, I took up the contact as it should be asked canter and up he came. I kept letting my lower legs slip to fair foward and letting my outside arm go straighter. We canter pretty much non stop for 20mins only changing the rein through trot. With lots of reminding by my RI 'bend your outside arm, bring your legs back etc' to canter became quite breath taking. He was off my leg and in front of it he was soft and round over his back and lifting though his shoulder the over all picture was lovely. plus the resulting trot work was amazing again forward and soft and very very powerful. We even managed from extented trot.

We have mirrors in our indoor school and even I could see the difference my leg position made. He is hard work but man it was worth it.

Now if I can get 1/2 that energhy for Saturday RC test I will be very happy.

So after a couple of months of feeling like we have been stuck in a rut I am hoping this is the break through we have been waiting for.

Just wanted to share some positive stuff for once

Sounds great - I am also impressed that I understood what you are talking about as we are trying to improve Bens canter at the moment as well. Good luck for the weekend.

Not really looking forward to it to be honest. RC comps are so busy the warm up is a death trap and you have to really stand your ground.

But the follwing week I am at Addington doing RoR quailifies prelim and novice. Thats is the one I am aiming for as he hates it there always very naughty and spooky.

Reactions: squidsin
Sounds like things are going well. Pedro's canter in the school is bleugh! He's hard to get into canter and hard to keep in canter and hard to keep on the track! So we are focusing on getting him balanced in trot before working on the canter. But it sounds like for you working on the canter has improved your trot work.

Good luck with the RC comp. we have one at the end of nov and the warm up there is a rammy too! I'm not looking forward to it as I'm too apologetic and am always the one who stops or says sorry even if I'm the one who's been cut up! Lol!

I used to get very intimidated in busy warm up arenas but have not realised that if I canter Ben (obviously making sure I have right of way), everyone gets out of my way because he is so big and sounds like a herd of elephants when he gets going.

I have had some very rude people in the warm up ring and these days really do stand my ground. Once there was a lady who would announce 'turning' and would then turn and expect people to move. She tried to do this to Ben and I, and I simply told her that my horse was bigger than hers and she would have to walk through us if she wanted to turn in that particular place.

Reactions: squidsin
I find getting forward in the school/arena, always difficult. Hacking, I find him incredibly hard to hold!!!

Its finding the motivation I think, between the both that is a well mannered horse. Tobes is certainly not well mannered, and only ever does what he wishes, but it is finding that desire in the school that is key I reckon!

Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com