Canter troubles!

An_Riz

May 20, 2017
Hi everyone!

So I have been riding for about 2 months now and began cantering 2 weeks ago. I'm getting used to the movement of it and find it really fun! Some things I struggle with that hopefully people can help solve:

1 - Steering the horse becomes an issue as I want to give him enough reins to move his head and stretch out slightly but don't want to have the reins loose enough that I need to stretch my arms out/lose contact? How should reins be held in canter (both in arena and when out on canter trails)?

2- My hands tend to bounce around, and therefore so do the reins, and I fear this is sending the horse mixed messages? Again this begs the question how do I need to keep my hands and reins in order to have control but also moving nicely with the horse/not blocking his movement?

LASTLY (sorry it's long I know) 3 - I have read and heard so many different things regarding gripping with the legs in canter. Some say you absolutely must grip in order to stay on, others say that gripping too much will make you tense and more likely to lose balance with the horse's movements. Any tips?

Thanks guys I hope this isn't too confusing!!!

Instructors teach riding in different ways and different styles. Cantering sitting in the saddle after only 6 weeks learning is pretty quick progress. It helps with safety as you wont fall off if the horse spooks and canters. But having still hands when riding depends on your balance and steadiness in the saddle -something you havent yet learned in 6 weeks. You need to learn this isn trot and probably on the lunge before cantering.
In both trot and canter one can steady ones hands by placing them just in front of the saddle resting either side of the neck of the horse, but take care the reaching your hands forward doesnt cause your body to tip forward too. You need to balance with your weight on your your seat bones.

Yes it is pretty quick progress - my instructor just sort of said 'ok now let's try for a canter and see how it goes' and we've just kept going from there. It's easier when I'm out of the arena because I have more space and time to canter and get into a nice rythm. But yes my RI keeps telling me that my arms tend to flail about so maybe it is as you said just a matter of time and practice.

What I really get stuck on is steering though!! I'm told to lower my hands and keep them still but then I still need to steer and turn the horse in the arena. Should there be close contact or should I give the horse more reins in order to move his neck? I can't find a healthy balance of the two!

Its the same hands as in walk, soft and following the head movement to maintain a steady contact, its common when learning to brace the elbows, an instinctual need to use the hands to balance but on a horse balance has to come from the core and seat. I don't grip to balance, if I do I look like a weeble on top, getting the lower back soft and into the movement is far more effective for me :)
Try sitting or kneeling on a yoga ball, those are the muscles you need to use :)

In USA the custom in some styles of riding is to turn the horse and also control the front legs with your hands and the reins. Western riders may turn the head of the horse to initiate a turn. In UK we are more likely to learn to ride using very small movements of the rein, and we may turn the horse without bending its neck very much at all. Personnally in canter out hacking I use a small touch on one rein to steady the horse but steer with my legs. Even in the school arena and sitting the canter and trot, I dont use reins to steer as it tends to stop the horse. Instead I was taught to use my body - imagine first looking and then turning your tummy button in the direction you want to go. But these are things you need to learn from your teacher. Here in the UK weoften have lunge lessons in which we can put down the reins altogether.
It might be fun for you to experiement in walk (walk only) in your arena and see how well you can steer your horse and also stop and start using no reins at all.

I don't grip to balance, if I do I look like a weeble on top, getting the lower back soft and into the movement is far more effective for me :)
Try sitting or kneeling on a yoga ball, those are the muscles you need to use :)

Ok so I need to get working on my muscles then! Because I do see that if I grip with my legs to stay on the horse he seems to slow down and his movement is generally inhibited. I will definitely be getting a yoga ball thank you for the suggestion!! :)

Reactions: Jessey
i say this again and again - ask for some lessons on the lunge. The only way you will build up the core stability and muscles required to balance, the only way you will develop ‘feel’ is by doing it. By hours in the saddle. At the stage you are at its all so much to think about, by having some lessons on the lunge you can develop your seat more without worrying about everything else. After that, the other things will be easier.

i say this again and again - ask for some lessons on the lunge. The only way you will build up the core stability and muscles required to balance, the only way you will develop ‘feel’ is by doing it. By hours in the saddle. At the stage you are at its all so much to think about, by having some lessons on the lunge you can develop your seat more without worrying about everything else. After that, the other things will be easier.
I will ask my RI today. That may help a lot if as you say it takes the pressure off of thinking about 3 things at once. Thanks for the advice :)

Reactions: CharliesAngel
Its very common for a beginner to raise the hands and for them to bounce around. Most do it to balance in the beginning. But you have to keep telling yourself hands down. Eventually you won't think about it, give it time. You shouldn't grip as this can confuse the horse and he may think you are squeezing for him to go faster. Try to loose any excess leg motion down through your heels. If you find your legs flapping. Particularly so in rising and sitting trot. If you grip you will loose the horses motion. Squeeze/leg on to ask horse and release. Let the legs hang and go with the motion but imagine the excess motion is being pushed out through your heels, which keeps the legs still.
Learning the contact takes time. You will find that if you are riding the same horse as you get to know him and with more hours riding you will automatically ride with a looser rein.
You need to remember pressure and release. That is the key. Ask and as soon as the horse gives. Release. This is the horses reward for doing as you ask. The more you can be soft in his mouth he will learn this, and will respond. Next time you are standing with the horse just hold the reins and literally tweek them with your fingers. As soon as he pulls his head back release. That is how light your contact will eventually be.

Reactions: An_Riz
newrider.com