Canter to walk..

Method_Acting

Aug 12, 2005
UK
Okay we've been working on transitions a lot and my horse just doesn't get this!

He's really good at walk to canter (too good!?) but trying to get canter to walk is impossible. I've tried getting his canter really bouncy and on the spot and keeping the energy contained, but he still trots for a few strides when i ask for walk. I'm probably not being clear enough with him but how do I teach him to canter - walk? Any exercises?

I've been trying to canter a 20m circle, come back to walk at X for a couple of steps then changing the canter lead and doing another circle (so a figure of 8 really) but he ends up trotting on and missing the oppurtunity to canter straight away.

will be watcihing this closely as my RI is tryin to get me doing this
we cant do either very well atm but the downward transition is worse
he goes from a cob to a machine that wont stop
typical eh ;)

when I go accute downward I really tip my pelvis forward from the waist down, not sure if its pollitically correct but it works, I also train to stop by literally pushing my feet down and forwards and sitting very deep

strength in the inner thigh and through the seat and stomach muscles and absolutely ride that strenght through the seat as if you life depended on it

but i install teh halt from the foot as an emergency stop and so can use it for schooling, ie, ask for halt you will probably get walk, it may be stiff due to the leg position but you can soften this off

I also do loads of walk four paces trot four paces, totally from the seat, then up this to canter, canter four, walk for

but belive in your riding, if you think he dosnt he wont no ??

dont worry it will possibly be scrappy at first and might take a few weeks and it will deffo sharpen the downwards

also if this dosnt work I ask canter halt but use the corner of the menage

for drastic cases only !!

ride counter canter down the long side so you have the advantage in the bend then ride into the corner and giving about ten metres warning half halts but keeping the canter, then use the halt aids in the corner, block the inside with the inside hand (cos in counter canter yeah ?) hand so he cant turn and make him halt, then change bend and walk out of it so he doenst stress praising like mad

use the corner a few times to emphasise then over time drop the transition back off the fence as he will recognise what you are asking

this only works if your menage is fenced of course :eek::D

Ides to try :)

if you want to I will explain the halt thing I do , it starts on the ground, its great and rider on my horse having trouble or anything I can stop her from a distance so its a really useful; tool, simelar to western but with my own twiking and a bit of natural horsemanship mixed up :D

every judges comment has been GREAT BREAKS :D

Last edited:
newrider.com