Canter to walk transitions?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
The problem with aging is one's memory. I did not ride good canter to walk transitions and my mind was a blank. I forgot to prepare the canter. And consistently got a couple of steps trot before the walk.
I want an active walk as we are about to canter off on the other lead.

I am messing up canter walk transitions after a longish canter here, so the horse is not necessarilly expecting it. There isnt a problem alternating 5 strides walk and 5 canter which a horse picks up easily because it realises what you are asking for.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head re the preparation not being enough, if you don't prepare the horse they tend to rush into a transition, any transition until you release, often resulting in them trying trot for a stride or two before getting to the canter/walk. Its a tough ask after a long canter, esp if its a bowling forward working canter, half halts for more engagement before the walk cue, but I'm sure you do that anyway :)

No I dont think I did do the half halts. I totally forget things. Poor horse. I did say to the RI that the previous lesson I had done the canter to trot transitions at X very abruptly and felt it wasnt fair on the horse. And would try to be gentler.

I often use half halts as a 'something else is coming' kind of warning, it means they are also better balanced to execute what ever it is so has a kind of two fold use for me :)

Canter to walk relies on two things, the quality of canter, as Jessey said balance it with half halts and subtley aim for collecting for the last couple of strides, then use your seat and back to ask for walk by 'not allowing'. Have you worked on canter to halt at all, sometimes this gives a 'lightbulb' moment as it prevents the rider worrying about keeping the walk forward, bear in mind though that such direct downward transition do require a very well schooled/expereinced horse and riding with perfect timing of aids

Reactions: candyman
Thanks for your help eml. No, I havent ridden canter halt canter in the school - I wondered about that. One RI advised me to ride canter down to trot as if I wanted to walk. Which was fine but has now complicated matters when I really do want canter to walk.
When I hacked Maisie the young women who rode out with me sometimes asked me to ask things of her, for fun, because it was said Maisie would do anything for me. I did once ride her Halt to canter. It is not something I have ever done in the school. But I understand what you are suggesting. Just the conviction that a horse can go from halt to canter, relieves one of the feeling one must have a very forward walk in order to resume canter on the other lead.
Thank you I will try this.

Can you do rein back to canter? That really sets you up not to need to think too much about the walk quality as it gives the sensation of quarters powering the canter. I personally use walk and rein back to canter long before I let people try direct downward as they are such important building blocks of feel and control. Equally I never start anyone trying changes until they and the horse are proficient in counter canter. It may seem a bit of a long way round but I believe it establishes the work on firmer foundations.

Equally and in conjunction with another thread you started 'straightness' is a long way up the scales of training, do not let yourself be pushed into 'straight' unless all the previous elements are well established both for the horse and rider .

Reactions: carthorse
You deserve a full reply and my thanks eml. As a rider of a RS horse I am not in a situation like a private owner where I can go into details of the horse on a public forum. Thus when I ask here about canter walk downward transitions, I am focussed on something which I am not yet doing to my own satisfaction. Thank you all for the suggestions which I will put to use. This is not a dressage schoolmaster - as with the pony I rode last year, the horse and I are learning together. But please be reassured, we have been building up step by step. The four months in which I appeared to get nowhere and was a grave disappointment to myself were probably well spent laying foundations. Counter canter was expected to be a problem but proved not to be - I am quite at home in counter canter - You may recall eml my going round and round your school in counter canter as if it were normal!

newrider.com