cant sleep!

I'm going to look like a cup of tea by the morning,I've been doing some reading would love a bath but not allowed one for another 12 days because of my post op wounds.think I may have to see what is on the tv at this time of day :smile:

I keep a couple of puzzle books handy, easy stuff like Word Search or Kriss Cross. I find I can not 'think about' the types of stressy stuff that keeps me awake and do the puzzles at the same time, so it settles my mind and gets me back into 'sleep' mode.:smile:

I find that audio books can help as you don't need to put the light on etc which wakes me up more.
I also turn on my electric underblanket as one of my problems is that I start tossing and turning then end up with back ache, but the heat tends to relax me so I move around less.
I also drug myself with either Nytol or use painkillers with codeine in them as I am quite sensitive to codeine and it makes me sleepy.
Insomnia is awful but depends on my mood. If I am in any way stressed or unhappy my mind chews away with bad, bitter, stressy thoughts and thing rapidly go down hill, but if I am happy I just give in and lie there thinking, making plans, being positive etc (have to say though, I am usually stressed :poop:)
Hope this is a temporary problem for you ?
x

Puzzles is a good idea,will get one picked up and give that a go.
I'm happy just not sleeping well,its not something that's permanent with me,think its just as I'm not doing much at the moment so not tired,I'm usually on the go from 5am with horses and work,dogs etc but can't do it at the mo until my knees more stable so think maybe my body is just not getting the physical work its used to :)
I'm on codeine for my knee it unfortunatly doesn't make me drowsy but I'm coming of them tomorrow so could try the nytol thanks for the advice :smile:
My friend suffers insomnia but she's stressy and a worrier as she puts it and finds it very hard to switch off her mind from the spiral.I will suggest the puzzle idea to her may help her a lot.I feel for people who suffer it on a permanent basis,must be an awful thing to deal all the time.

The puzzles are good for de stressing. Sounds rather boring and they take a little getting into at first but I have found them invaluable at times when convalesing or for clearing the mind:smile:

OH used to suffer terribly from insomnia when we lived at the old house - partially I think our life style was to blame as we were always on the go with work and had nothing outside to calm us down! We drank too much too - and although initially a skin-full of wine will grog you up, you will only wake up in the middle of the night and then be stuck wide awake! Having the horses and getting plenty of fresh air cured him - I think once he had something else to stress about - ie Joe, he stopped worrying about work and was so exhausted come bedtime he just dropped off flat out!
I know your insomnia isn't like that mystique - yours hopefully is only temporary! I would probably be on here if I couldn't drop off................

There was a psycho therapist Philip Hodson on the radio years ago.
His advice worked for me. So if you are serious about getting to sleep, do try it.
His method with patients was to empty your mind of all activity (the miseries that might keep you awake) by counting as you breathed- counting one two three on the in breath, one two three on the out and then pause one count before breathing in again.
Then he explained eye position. When you want to fall asleep, make sure you are lying comfortably and then close your eyes, and (with eyes closed) turn your gaze upwards. Apparently physiologically that is the sleep position for your eyes.
Then slowly breathe in and out counting as explained above.
His method works very quickly for me - a real knock out.
And since the count of three reminds me of the count as I canter, often just thinking of the horse in canter sends me to sleep. Animal contact is supposed to relax you, so may be the riding image works.
If anyone else tries this, it would interest me to hear the result.

Work with horses! You are in a permanent state of physical exhaustion, getting to sleep never seems to be an issue, the real challenge is learning how to stay awake :giggle:

I'll give that ago skib and let you know how it goes.thank you for the advice :smile:

Joosie I completly agree!i normally am up at 5am go and do 2 hours riding for my mum's boss then go and do my little girl get her in etc then go to work till 4.30 then back to malaika and either ride,do some groundwork or generally just pamper her home tea bath and was flat out by 10 never had any trouble sleeping like you say was always a job staying awake!I had my op on my knee on Tuesday and can't do anything really and I think I've been so used to a busy physical day now I'm unable to do anything my brain and body are just wide awake!I removed my clock last night as was sick of clock watching :frown:

Kis vihar omg I've been laughing my head off at the Hungarian up your bum!this has made my very boring day so much more fun :bounce:

If you are convalescent after a knee op.OP, I wouldn't worry too much. I read in the night sometimes while convalescent. Your body and mind may not need the sleep at the moment.

Thanks skib I think this is the problem and my body is just not tired nor is my mind,its been great getting some ideas of some things to keep me occuipied in the wee hours :smile: and some tips of things to try if it does persist so thank you everyone for the ideas,he'll and advice it is much appriciated :smile:

Eight weeks ago I was suffering terrible insomnia due to a fear of sleep- several reasons: illness, family issues and the long dark nights. At that point the internet, lurking on NR and the game Howrse were my salvation. Plus the dread facebook, with all the games it offers, plus my iphone kept me sane.

When I cannot sleep normally I tend to try work out mental maths problems. It works for me. but I do love numbers! I can then block out all the other thoughts that are bugging me.

newrider.com