Cant sit my bum in the saddle :o

joey_olop

I Love My Olops!!!!!
Jul 15, 2003
Sunny Slough!!
Visit site
I posted a while ago about my riding-I feel like I ride like a jockey-I dont actually sit in the saddle but hover slighly above it:confused::)

I have tried endless no stirrup work(I was once doing it everynight for about an hour:eek:) & still I cant sit my bum down. Ive been doing no stirrup work now since about March time & not noticed any difference! What is the matter with me??!!

I feel like my riding is really suffering as I cant use my weight to control Blackie if you understand me??!!

Help!!

You must be a Flymo if you can hover above the saddle without stirrups !

Have you tried that froggy thing where you sit as far down into the seat as you can, then lift each knee in turn as far up as you can? That should put you squarely on your seatbones into the saddle, then you very gently lower your leg back onto the horse's side, without changing your seat as far as possible. It sounds as if you are sitting too much on your adductor muscles, on the inside of your thighs, and not opening your hip enough. I would try adductor stretches before you ride (give me a sec and i'll find some) and then that "froggy" thing once you are on.

I know I sound like a bit of an anorak on this, but its a problem i've had myself, and have really looked into. My DH does a bit of rugby coaching, so he knows a fair bit about leg and hip anatomy and how to supple up various muscle groups.

Edited to add: what is your saddle like? Is it flat-seated or deep-seated, or somewhere between the two? Do you use one of those seatbone saver things?

Last edited:
I dont hover without stirrups I sit without them its just when I take them back I go back to square one again :rollseyes:

Ive got a wintec-its not that deep of a seat, I dont use a seat saver but I use a furry one when I hack out for a long time-not that I need to as I dont sit on it :D

Can you try riding in a different saddle? I wonder if the stirrup bars are in the wrong place for you on the Wintec & so are forcing you to sit wrongly.

I have got a throwgood(sp??!) for my other horse Flaire but exactly the same thing happens(except with her she does her best racehorse impression & my riding dosnt help!!)

Im really not sure what is causing it, I was having lessons at some point & my RI commented on it too. He said to do loads of no stirrup & we did & still no impprovement!! Maybe my bum dosnt want to sit in a saddle??!!!!!!

Tried bareback riding too-although I cant hover with no saddle/stirrups its when I go back to the stirrups that I ride like a jockey! Its like the horse cant feel me on his/her back!

Thanks for the ideas!

I would drop my stirrups down to atleast 3 holes longer than normal, or more if they don't feel long, and then try and ride a circle in walk, then trot, then canter, while reaching down for your stirrups. Try to keep your feet on them at all times.
Then you have no choice but to sit into your saddle! :)
HTH best of luck.
(ETA: obviously don't ride like this all the time, just for a few days or so to see if it helps :))

Last edited:
Are you leaning forwards? That is what my problem was.
Maybe get an instructor or wise friend to watch you ride and see, cos once you are used to it you won't feel like you are doing it.

I would drop my stirrups down to atleast 3 holes longer than normal, or more if they don't feel long, and then try and ride a circle in walk, then trot, then canter, while reaching down for your stirrups. Try to keep your feet on them at all times.
Then you have no choice but to sit into your saddle! :)
HTH best of luck.
(ETA: obviously don't ride like this all the time, just for a few days or so to see if it helps :))

Will try that tonight-see what happens:)

If you are fine with no stirrups, I'd also suggest lengthening them.
And look at your OH's stirrups too. Good luck in teaching him.

I don't know how old either of you are but many new riders are prompted to have their stirrups shorter. That bends the leg more so that their heel goes back, the alignment looks better and it is easier (in some ways) for them to use their leg on the horse.

However for some older beginners like me, shortening stirrups is not a useful thing to do. I eventually learned to ride only after my stirrups were let down (a lot) by a determined elderly RI. That was a revelation. It brought my seat on the saddle and my legs relaxed down.
When you are riding with stirrups, the likelihood is that your legs are more bent and also tenser than when riding without. The stiffness will lift you out of the saddle. As you are lifted, your centre of gravity is raised too, so you will be less secure on the horse, and may raise your knees and grip with them to keep yourself safe. Again, that raises your centre of gravity and lifts you from the saddle.
It is not your fault that you are out of the saddle, nor bad riding. it is our bodies' natural reaction to avoid the instability.
First you need to compromise, ride with stirrups but with your weight still on your seat bones and your legs hanging long.
Then you need to sense the horse's movement through your seat. Have your mind on the horse moving and allow that movement, rather than think about yourself. It may take a little time for you to feel comfortable sitting in all three gaits.
Don't be tempted to put weight in your feet or on the stirrups because you wont feel the movement or learn to move with it.
Finally add the leg contact you need to accelerate or direct the horse.

In teaching your OH you need to balance the skills between seat and legs. My OH learned to ride sitting, his aim was to ride Western in the States. Now we are home again, he wants to learn rising trot. He hopes.
Other instructors with other students teach rising trot straight away. Rising trot comes easy, and then that rider may have problems with sitting trot.

You probably learned to ride that way round, and don't blame yourself for it. Sitting trot with stirrups is known to be more difficult than sitting trot with no stirrups. It is the same for everyone and all it takes is a bit of practice.

Thanks for the advice Skib, I tend to ride with longer stirrups as I have a bit of a deformed knee due to an accident I had when I was younger(Im 23 btw!)

I cant ride with short stirrups as it puts too much pressure on it :eek: I will try lenghthening them more & see what happens :)

newrider.com