Can't believe I'm asking this ...

puzzles

Nov 11, 2006
Bedfordshire
... But, ahem, how can you, um, tell the difference between a, er, gelding and, ahe, a mare, when the gelding's thing is not poking out?

Any pics might help. :eek: :rolleyes:

Utterly shameful I know but I honestly can't tell - they look the same to me and I can't tell which is which even when they look different ... :eek:

xxxxx Please don't laugh xxxxx

erm well..:eek: a gelding's sheath lol are usually visible at a glance, where as teats(sp?) tend not to be:p also under the horses tail mares have girly bits.:eek:;):p

Last edited:
because they have a sheath (geldings) and mares dont they have there front bum under there tail :D
x
maybe this will help
it is a gelding
35na1qe.jpg

the sheath is likely to be seen from a distance, and may look like a 'bulge' from far away. Teats are small and hidden due to the hindleg- but if you lift the tail there are girly parts.

Can't believe I'm asking this ..

This post really made me giggle, as even today after all these years I sometimes find myself bending down to have a quick look to confirm whether gelding or mare!

Don't worry, your question wasn't remotely silly, and it just reminded me that we all need to ask those hillariously embarrassing (for us) questions from time to time :(

Thank you for cheering me up, and lots of good luck to you! :) :) :)

Roseanne xxx

Don't feel ashamed!! I feel like I literally have to get under a horse to tell sometimes. The other day, I met a new girl with her horse and could only really see the front of him/her (still don't know what it is!), and I go "ohhh, what is your horse's name?", she goes "Dakota". Erm, that didn't help, could be either!! :)

Felt a bit rude to go have a peek at it's bits to find out for sure :eek:

You all make it so complicated.
A mare will a have a pink saddle cloth, gelding a blue one.....simple :p

i need to tell my gelding he's a mare then, he wears pink hi viz sheet and pink veil and i'm normally found to be wearing pink jods and wellies. My poor boy is prob having an identity crisis with all the pink:D

You Big Silly LindaAd :) Whoever would be mad enough to get that close to "squint" at a horse's whatevers perhaps ought to think about another hobby - it is possible to "look" without actually getting underneath its belly!

I will forgive your facetiousness tho - this time! <g> :):):)

Roseanne xxxxx

This post really made me giggle, as even today after all these years I sometimes find myself bending down to have a quick look to confirm whether gelding or mare!

My little boy (2 1/2 now) is always crouching down to look for my poor mare's winky, and I won't even begin to tell you about the conversations we have in the swimming pool changing rooms :D:D

newrider.com