Can't believe I'm asking this

dcp

Mar 31, 2005
Scotland
www.freewebs.com
Ok so let me explain. Charlie had his op and is having physio on his back. The physio lent me a reactor pad saddle which isn't working as he's still napping bad and seems in pain. I think the next step is a treeless but.....

I am honestly thinking about sending him away. He is not getting ridden much how on earth do I afford a new saddle? Will he ever get better? We have a pacer in at work with bad back problems and he's just like Charlie. Will this ever end? This is like rock bottom for me the thought of sending him somewere really breaks my heart I never thought these thougths would even enter my mind.

If I had acres and acres of land and a herd of horses I would keep him and maybe just play about on him or try some driving but I don't. He's in a paddock at the moment with one other horse and I think he's getting really bored. He deserves a good life.

I was possibly thinking the blood bank please give me your thoughts. :(

What about lunging and long linging, you don't saw what is wrong with his back or how long ago the op was, it will take a while to recover, and chances are if he's not in real pain, he'll have remembered pain.

If his saddle fits properly (ensure you get a good saddle fitter) you need to take things slowly, start off with just placing the saddle on his back and walking him round for a bit, then move on to lunging him with the saddle on, then move on to carefully mounting, sitting there for a bit and gradually build this up, almost as if you're breaking him in again. This way he should learn that there isn't any pain anymore.

Hope that helps!

x

oh lauren, how heart breaking for you. Have you tried a treeless on him? I would see if you can get one on trial then look for one second hand to buy yourself.

Can you not sell him/loan him as a companion...where's Nic??

I'm sorry that the poor fella doesnt seem to be getting any better.

xx

It's the whole pacing thing that gives him a knackered back. I need to speak to the physio and vet to see what they think. Another possibility is turning him away for a couple of months and come back to it. I've honestly had it nothing is going right with us and whilst I enjoy having him, not riding him and him being constantly unhappy is taking it's toll.

When we started riding again after the op we took things very slowly building the rides up. Even when I was riding him (been 4 days) I wasn't riding him for long. I'm not sure I like treeless saddles I just wish he was ok and I could ride him in his wintec and he wouldn't be in pain.

People should apprecaite how lucky they are to have horses that are happy to be ridden. Charlie is never happy when he is ridden. I'm running out of money and I'm sick of being stressed about it.

Advice: Don't ever buy a pacer/trotter

oh lauren, sending you lots of cyber hugs. Turning him away for a few months sounds like it might work. Give him (and you) a break and a chance to relax and maybe let things with charlie settle down a bit? then start afresh?

if you can i think it would definatly be benifical to turn him away for 6 months or so and then starting ago - may problems can be cured with rest.

i really feel for you i have been in similar situations with leg problems and found turning them away and starting again gave the body time to heal.

good luck, im thinking of you

newrider.com