Cannock chase

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
We r planning to go to cannock chase tomoz with the horses, just double checking where is the best place to park the trailer? (i have an ordnance survey map) We want to go on routes that aren't massively gravelly though as ours are barefoot and that's a big annoyance for us! We will have one OH on a bike and 2 dogs. Prob wanna be out for about 3 hours and don't wanna be going too near any roads!

I personally think the route & car park by the stepping stones is the best & not too gravelly either. Well jel'!!! :D have a lovely time. I'd ask to join you if I was more confident - me free - check, rideable horse - check, transport - check, very close - check! Oh well, maybe next time. ;) :)

There are two car parks good for the Stepping Stones. We used to prefer the one at Seven Springs (opposite the turning to the Heywoods), as there are usually fewer small children on bikes and there are some good canter tracks before you get to the Stones. The tracks are less gravelly too.

But wherever you go, there will be fantastic riding and views. The cafe on the road down to the A34 is (or at least used to be) horse friendly.

We tended to avoid the honey-spots such as Milford, Punch Bowl, Stepping Stones and Marquis Drive in the holidays, for obvious reasons.

Have a good time.

My friend used to park by an RAF base, nice little car park that not alot of people seem to use :smile:

Or by the bible chapel thing... Sorry not much help really!

Hope you have a nice time! :biggrin:

We went, had a lovely afternoon!

We didnt get lost for a change and we didn't lose a dog either! (barney sometimes runs off following a scent or a deer)

The horses did find the ground hard going tho due to the gravel and them being barefoot. We didn't get many canters and trots were only possible on grass verges really. All the paths we were on were gravelly to some degree...and I forgot Moets boots which was stupid as otherwise she would have been a lot happier.

But all in all it was a lovely afternoon and we are glad we went!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325092038.874094.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325092038.874094.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 13
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325092265.861026.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325092265.861026.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 13
It was ok today. Only saw one other horse, although there were quite a few cyclists, walkers and dogs, but all well behaved and held still whilst we passed, it was our dogs running riot!! Lol!

newrider.com