Can you ID a horse's gender by face alone?

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
Just wondering how you guys feel...

I remember a horsey friend of mine when I was at school saying it was easy to identify a mare from a gelding by looking at their face alone.

What do you guys think? Do mares have 'feminine' faces? :unsure:

SDC11619.jpg

A lot of people think the bay is a mare, I don't think anyone's ever made that mistake about the chestnut (though more than a few have thought he's a stallion).

I don't think anyone's ever made that mistake about the chestnut (though more than a few have thought he's a stallion.

Funny you should say that as I wondered that earlier on because he has a rather thick neck. Not like fat pads or a huge crest - it's just so burly!

Funny you should say that as I wondered that earlier on because he has a rather thick neck. Not like fat pads or a huge crest - it's just so burly!

It matches the rest of him - the depth of those shoulders has to be seen to be believed! In fairness he's a purebred ID who has always done a lot of schooling so carries a lot of muscle & topline, but his behaviour around mares (&, according to some people who've had dealings with stallion, some of his behaviour in general) does raise a few questions. It's not a problem with how he's kept, but I wouldn't want him in the wrong enviroment or hands.

I don't think you can..

Here are my two

032-1.jpg

The black one, Piccolo is always being called 'him' when she is a mare! and Harvey, the chestnut has quite a girly face. (He's a gelding)

I'd like to know more. Can we post some un-named pics and see how people ID the gender?

My boy gets called "her" by my farrier but I think he is very pretty for a gelding especially when he is working in an outline. He is beautifully pretty instead of handsome LOL.

My pics was of my gelding Wee Robbie - he's out on loan atm - my mum always said he was too pretty to be a boy and i have to admit that i agree!

Well done m&sa!

newrider.com