can you buy bute? Lump.

welsh-by-name..

Apr 23, 2008
'alifax, there is NO 'H'!
I just wondered if you can buy bute anywhere over counter or if it has to be prescribed?

My mare has got a hard lump/ swelling on her nose, just above the cartillage. No discharge or difficulty breating or eating.
I dont want to call a vet out on a Sunday ( why do my animals always choose weekends/ bank holidays / new years eve to get a bump or scrape?)

So I just want to try an anti inflam to see if it goes down, before i ring the day light robbers, sorry, vets! typo! tee hee hee!

I've asked round but none of my horse people have any, and i'm not on a yard so no access to comunal drugs.

Any ideas? Oh and I do have the best intentions for my pony an will get vet if it dont go down, or she gets worse.

you used to, but not anymore. may be worth asking around to see if anyone has any spare from before rules and regs came in...

Could it be a bite..if she is not distressed and it is not affecting her I would leave it alone until the morning.

I am not a great believer in using Bute unless you know what the problem is as it could mask the real problem.

dont think its a bite, ( unless we have sharks or gators in her stable! tee hee hee) Its all across the bone, Its too dark to take a pic so i'll try draw it. She lets me touch it and dont seem in pain but just wanted to see if it'd take swelling down.

Cant upload it. Will take a pic in mornin. Hopefully it'llve gone down.

Last edited:
you can always ring vet and tell him your problem and ask for some bute to go pick up from him or sugery he also might say it wont be good or bad idea depending on what he thinks it might be.
i have done it a few times when havent had any spares for my lami prone pony when she had really bad lami last year.

When mine had lami before I was given some from vet and when it ran out and the next 5 times, just rang him and collected more, ACP as well. Of course we were not new to the problem he had, and it was just a matter of dose as before.

Have you had any previous reason to get it from yours?

newrider.com