Can someone suggest a saddler in essex that can fit some saddles???!

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
I am at the end of my tether with saddle's and saddlers lol. It's like a ongoing never ending saga!

Anyway yet again I'm looking for someone who can fit saddles 'properly'.

I had a saddler out 9 months ago to fit Harveys saddle, I bought the saddle they suggested (a thorowgood cob T6 3D 17" with a medium wide gullet) from them, new and at full price. I also had to pay the fitting fee of £65. It fitted for about 12 weeks and then I noticed one of my stirrups was a inch longer then the other and the saddle didn't sit quite right. So called out the same saddlery firm again and they sent out a different saddler............

This fitting cost me £85 and the saddler changed the gullet to medium wide and re-flocked the front. Also put fish in on one side. The wither template showed Harveys muscle wastage had improved a bit on his bad side. The saddle was still too low at the front so she told me to use a wintec front riser. I said I wasn't keen on using a riser because I want to show him and you can't use one in a show ring but she explained it would be a temporary measure until his muscle wastage improved.

Now, this has now been 6 months and the saddle doesn't fit again, at all. The lady I had out to do Bowen said it was a bad fit and really too low on his withers. The wither template she did also showed that the muscle wastage had dropped again on his bad side. I have changed the gullet back to medium wide and using a thick numnah but it just doesn't look like it fits. It's still too low at the front and doesn't sit well at the back.

So I NEED a saddler, I have tried Tom who the back lady suggested but he hasn't got back to me and it's been 2 weeks and 3 phone messages now so really need to find someone else.

I also want to have Piccolo fitted for her first proper saddle. I have a few saddles I want a saddler to see if they can be adjusted to fit .

So any suggestions for a good saddler who will come out to the Essex/Suffolk border would be great :) Preferably one that doesn't charge a fortune!

Depends what you consider a fortune - my ex-boss and good friend (SMS Qualified fitter) covers Essex. I'll PM you the business number - you might get his wife or an answerphone, but tell them Karin in Hungary gave you his number - he's lovely, and you get what you pay for. :)

I class a fortune as £85 or more (per horse) just to check a saddle and adjust flocking ;)

newrider.com