Can someone please tell me about humane girths?

wont make any difference to a saddle slipping. I personally like them but in your case it wont solve your problem so save your money and buy a non slip pad. You can get decent cheaper 2nd hand ones on ebay.

DITZ i read back and found some of your previous posts about the barnsby grip pad so was on the lookout when someone pointed this one out to me,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7215231503&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

So was thinking about getting that if i can and the girth combined. Why do you think it wont help, from what others have said i thought it stopped the saddle being pulled forward due to her forward girth groove. Thought id try the pad on its own first anyway before spending that sort of money.

DIZT, they really do help with forward girth grooved horses - mostly fat little natives ;). it don't help with sideways slipping, but they do reduce the forward pull, which is Bimble's main problem. And non-slip pad won't help by itself whiclst the girth is still pulling the saddle forward. Together there should be no problem.

ive got a dressage human girth, only one i could find short enough.
im not a real fan of it, its really odd to do up and too easy to get it too tight.
i was going to get one of those shaped girths, but sold the saddle and used another on her and im buying a new saddle that can be used in her aswell.

ponylover88 said:
String
TOK53-218.jpg
I once saw a lady with the most GORGEOUS and comfy looking posh brand named stringed girth on her wee section A, I love them!

I'm a bit clueless - I didn't know the difference between the girths. I have a thorowgood and a wintec both are lush!

the humane girths such as the one in that first photo are awful. Wouldn't touch with a barge pole unless I had too (ie:when I working in a RS) String girths can pinch quite badly too

The best ones that I have used and have been recommend by various people including a saddler is this one here:

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/perl2/v2.cgi?page=/templates/details.html&productid=8765 plus the other wintec ones

Either that or a good quality leather balding girth

Last edited:
I really liked the wintec girth until I did a bit of unvestigating with it. Turns out inside side there's only a strip of narrow webbing. The edges are just the soft neoprene bit, which takes up no pressure. Which means that all the pressure is compressed into a narrow area. The non-shaped one are fine (have a wide strap of webbing) but the shaped one (that go narrowed at the elbow) is only as wide as the narrowest bit all the way along. Not even 2inchs wide. :(

You'll find that almost all saddlers will recommend string girths as they have the best pressure distribution. I they pinch (i.e on thin skinned animal) you should put a thin strip of gamgee underneath it, or a simple girth sleeve.

newrider.com