Can NH really help with napping?

stressy

Apr 22, 2009
sunderland
As title really, how many of you had had any success with using NH in helping a horse to overcome napping? What did you do? Did it work in the long term? I have just bought Kelly Marks 'Perfect Manners' and although its interesting im finding it a tad waffly (no offence intended to any KM fans reading this!)

I use aspects of NH all the time and I learnt a good napping trick here on NR - the clover system. Look it up x

I can let you know in a month or two? I am using NH to get my pony hacking out nicely alone and in company (he's not a great hacker, spins, naps, and spooks) I haven't hacked out for a while but have been concentrating my efforts on getting me and him super confident, and most importantly getting good at going forward.

To be honest though, thats the same even if I wasn't doing NH.

confidence and forwards = no napping regardless of what approach you use:)

I find that NH is the only way to deal with napping :)

Watch a Parelli DVD called 'My Horse Won't Go' - it really helps with getting a horse moving forward and listening to you.

Frayne has improved a great deal - but if necessary I just get off and lead her for a while; which is the main thing that Parelli taught me (it is ok to get off).

Ali xx

I certainly think it can help with napping :) But it's not just about what you do when the horse actually decides it's going no further, it's also about all the stuff you need to do at home to build your horse's trust and confidence, and also building up how much you ask of them and how quickly.

It might seem a bit long winded to some people but it's time well spent because if you can make your horse calmer and more confident it won't just help with napping, there are likely to be positive knock ons across the board :)

With any issue of this kind it's also well worth checking out and eliminatig any tack fit or physical issues, because pain and discomfort can sometimes be a major contributor to this sort of behaviour. Diet can make a big difference too in my experience :)

Depends what you mean by nh!! To me nh means asking 'why' instead of 'how do I...'. As in 'why is my horse napping' not 'how do I stop my horse napping'.

Coz to me nh means understanding how the horse is seeing the situation.
And to be able to do that you need some understanding of how horses think, feel & behave, awareness of behavioural principles and also some knowlege of YOUR horse and how he/she reacts. Plus some ability to read a horse's moment to moment communication.

Once you understand the 'why' you can figure out the 'how to'....as different approaches might be useful/useless/harmful depending on the 'why'.

newrider.com