Can Jim have some get well vibes please?

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Colic again.

I came back from a few days holiday at lunchtime & rode him. He seemed fine & ate his usual small feed afterwards. But then he started being too quiet & disinterested & I knew he was colicing. Called the vet, gave EquiSpaz & started walking & lunging until she came. We did (eventually) manage to get some drugs in him & when I left him half an hour ago he was looking a lot better & picking at some hay so hopefully he's going the right way. YO is checking him in a bit then I'll go back at 10.30/11 when the drugs should have worn off & I'll have a better idea of how he's looking.

Please, if any of you have any spare "get well" vibes can you send them to him? Everything was starting to go so well & then this happens :cry:

Colic is just horrible - hurry up and get well Jim - healing vibes on their way. Hope that you find him a bit better when you get down to the yard later - will you stay with him overnight?

Sending the vibes as requested . . . it's awful when the critters we love are poorly and such a worry. They can't tell us where it hurts . . .

I hope he feels better soon . . . please try not to worry Hon.

N

just seeing the word sends me into a panic - so massive massive get well vibes! and ultra hugs to you as i know how scary the unknown can be.

Hope you find him still on the mend when you pop up later - let us know how you get on - will be thinking about you x

Happyhacker101, whether I stay depends on how he looks. If I'm really worried I will but if he looks ok I suspect he's better left rather than being disturbed throughout the night. It's a hard one. YO lives on site, so hopefully if there was a problem she'd hear.

Thanks for the vibes & hugs, we need them. I feel sick & shaky, which is part of the reason I've come away - I'm probably unsettling him rather than helping. I just wish I knew what to do to stop this happening, I can't see what more I can do :cry:

I just wish I knew what to do to stop this happening, I can't see what more I can do :cry:

this is the hardest part isn't it - the not knowing and being able to control it - i've been the same when both mine have gone down with colic and you beat yourself up.

Remember you are doing your upmost and sometimes things are just out of our control - try to take care of yourself. Is their anyone that can keep you company? I know my hubby always is the one to settle me when i start getting in a panic when horses are ill

hugs

Fingers crossed that he will be looking better when you go up later - colic is sooo scary - Rob had it about three years ago and it scared the life out of me - friends and i made a camp and stayed up with him all night - will always be grateful for them sticking around as I was really worried about him

I've stayed up with him for 48 hours solid before now, if he needs it then he'll get it, but if I'm there he doesn't give a true picture of how he is because he always comes to me. For example he'll eat if I offer him hay ut is that because he wants it or to please me? But if I don't offer it he won't eat unless he's really hungry because he'd rather be with me getting attention.

Nookster luckily my OH is home this week so I'm not on my own & he'll come up the yard with me in a little while. Poor man, horses scare him silly & it's a horrid night - I feel mean dragging him out but I really don't want to be on my own.

I've just got back in from visiting him & you'd never guess anything was wrong. Bright as a button, hay all gone, one net thrown over the wall & the manager licked clean of any stray strand. Fell on the next double netted offering as though he hadn't seen food in days.

Two piles of poo, which is obviously good news, but they're still very very loose. That doesn't follow his normal colic history & it makes me wonder if there's something else going on. Maybe he's got a slight chill from the up & down weather? It is going cool at night but I can't put on much in the way of rugs because it's only for a few hours in the middle of the night. My OH is lovely but I think he'd have something to say if I started changing rugs at midnight & 5am (not to mention the YO!). He hadn't been laying down because there were no shavings on his rug, I'd brushed it off before I came home earlier so I'd know if he'd been down.

Hopefully he'll be ok now, though I'll be scared stiff going up in the morning. The drugs should have worn off by now (had them about 5, vet said they'd last 5/6 hours but any problems would be showing before then) so what I was seeing was how he was not how the drugs made him look. Anyway I know from experience that if he's hurting the drugs don't do that much & he certainly won't eat.

Thanks again for all the vibes, hopefully they've done the trick!

He's a lot brighter today but to play safe I only gave him a couple of hours out. Everytime I looked he was grazing which is actually unusual - normally he picks a bit but then decides that the grass is too short to bother with & mooches about either herding the pony he's in with or winding up a horse in the next field that he doesn't get on with. If he's prepared to work to graze what little grass is in there then it's growing well & there's feed in it, I don't care what YO says! The ther give away was the way he came barging out the box while I was still putting the headcollar on & proceeded to power walk to the field with me obediently jogging alongside :rolleyes: . I ignored it today but he's in for a nasty shock if he tries the same stunt tomorrow!

His droppings are still very loose & he looks a bit tucked up along his flank so he isn't back to normal yet. I've got some pre & pro biotic paste from the vet which may help that though, and if the grass is part of the problem then cutting his turnout a little should help too.

I didn't ride him today, the vet had said I could but I still wasn't quite happy with him so it didn't seem fair. Maybe tomorrow.

I was thinking of you two today and hoping everything was ok- really pleased to hear he's improved:happy:

You dedication to him shines through in all your posts.

Will keep everything crossed its onwards and upwards for you both

newrider.com