Can I have a 'I'm very proud of my pony' moment?

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I'm not sure if I've really introduced Pete properly?! He's the love of my life and I've had him just over 3 years. However, it's not been quite the 3 years I expected. After losing my last horse in a field accident, I decided I wanted something low key, fun and that could dabble in a bit of dressage, sponsored rides and RC things - basically the horse everyone wants! Step in Pete - who is pure New Forest and had been born and breed on the forest, started under saddle and he was 4/5 years old at the time and although much greener (and smaller) than I wanted, he basically seemed like a sweet, quiet horse who with a bit of bringing on could fill that criteria.

To cut a very long story short, he wasn't quite 'as advertised', shall we say. I actually think he was drugged when we viewed hom, but that's very much by a by. After some investigating - it turns out he's been through a whole host of trainers and instructors, even putting one into hospital with quite significant injuries ... :oops:

It became evident very quickly. that he had a whole host of issues - ranging from stabling, handling and riding. He had two settings: argumentative & well, explosive and was dismissed by quite a few people as 'dangerous' and after struggling on for 12 months doing our best but not really getting anywhere, I decided to give us both a break. He absolutely wasn't a 'people's horse' when I first got him - unless there's a chance he can mug people for treats - in which case, he's totally mastered the 'ears forward, nuzzle into them and look as cute as a button' look :rolleyes: - but he's never seen people as being trustworth or worth building a relationship with (I actually think, in the past they've caused him a lot of stress :( ). We joke, that his default setting was 'no', no matter what the question. If I asked him to turn left, he'd want to turn right and if he couldn't turn right, then he'd throw himself on the floor. If I wanted to walk, he'd want to canter. If I wanted to trot, he'd want to halt and would buck if you put your leg on ...

He had l by chance we came across Natural Horsemanship and Parelli, which I had never really known much about - but I was at the end of my tether, I was scared of him and I figured I had nothing left to lose. (P.S. I really don't want to turn this into a 'how great is Parelli thread' - I know it's not for everyone and I'm by no means evangelical about it :) )

It's been slow progress and not without its ups and downs, but these last few months, it feels like he's really turned a corner. He's still quirky, but I think he may always be. I've come to terms with the fact he'll never be the happy-go-lucky dressage pony I had hoped and we just try to have fun together. Please, excuse my terrible position, it has totally gone to pot in the quest to try and make my pony happy under saddle. But, I'm so proud of Pete & just wanted to share some photo's, as we could have never have ridden in the school so stress free a year ago ...

Our trot work is still very much a work in progress and it doesn't take a lot for him to become tense and bracey - as these photo's show! <Mind you, given that we have four feet on the floor, it's still progress :D

His 'everyday' cheeky side is beginning to come threw in his ridden work, after a long time of being shut down or overly emotional about working - here he is, trying to pick up and move the cones ...

A few seconds after this photo was taken, he tried to disarm me by attempting to stick his tongue down my throat, so he could mug me for polo's. Obviously, my laughing hysterically at him, is a great deterrent. Not.

Tea and tiffin cake to all that made it through, without loosing the will to live ;) x

I think it's a lovely thread PM and you should be proud, there are a lot of people who wouldn't have carried on with him (and clearly hadn't) and that takes a lot of courage.
It's great that you found something that worked for both of you and it doesn't matter what 'style' it is if it works for you both that's brilliant! :)
I'm sure your relationship with him will keep getting better and better and thanks for sharing the photo's of your lovely boy.

Reactions: Trewsers
Lovely read and photos. Its all about finding out what works for your own horse, and not having tunnel vision about what suits you or you think is 'correct way to do things' as a human ! very refreshing thread thankyou !

Hear hear! Well done to you both for finding a way through his issues. It's always great to read about someone's successes. I think that achieving what you have achieved from where you started is at least as great a win as winning a big dressage event!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
That's fantastic. I really admire you for working with (and through) his issues. It's a shame people lie when selling horses, but there you go, it's worked out well in the end. Although it must have been very stressful for a while, I went through similar with my first horse and it was too much for me to deal with. Riding isn't about winning stuff (although that's nice, of course), and what you've done with Pete is worth a thousand rosettes. May you have many more happy years together!

What a lovely post, thanks for sharing. I hope Pete continues to become more trustful of people and you and he have many happy fun years together. You must be very proud of how far you've come with him.

I love reading stories like this! Good on you for persevering and not giving up on him. His trot looks fine for a green boy and I'm sure it'll develop in no time as you both grow in confidence, you must be super proud of how well he's come on! Do you have any ideas as to what started his issues? Poor lad sounds like he's been passed around a bit, I'm glad he's found you now!

Thanks everyone :) It's lovely to hear your feedback - I'm not going to lie, there have been many, many times I could have washed my hands off him & sold him for 50p ...! I now just deduct a few years off him, anytime anyone asks his age :p

Thankfully, I meet my instructor who has turned him around - I made her ride him first, when we were bringing him back into ridden work! She's fearless & I'm most definitely not - she still gets chucked in him from time to time if I'm having a wobbly 'can't do this' moment :D

Good question DA - I'm not really sure. He lived wild on the New Forest until he was 4/5, so I think he's always had a looser grip on civilisation than his stud reared friends. He doesn't just think he might possibly survive on his own, he knows full well he can. Plus, he was gelded late - so maybe more hormonal too?!

My best guess, is that someone tried to make him 'submit' & he's really not a horse, well pony, you can dominate. He'll fight tooth and nail if he thinks he has to - so now much of our time is making him things were his idea and isn't he a clever pony?! If you're playful in your approach, he's much happier. He's quite un-confident when it comes to learning stuff, I'm not sure if he's always been that way or he's taking a beating somewhere down the line & is worried about making mistakes so he thinks it's better to just eject himself from situations before he can be told he's wrong.

He's been a far, far bigger learning curve than I ever thought - but he's quite a dude with the biggest personality now he's mellowing and able to project it in a more positive way.

I'm not sure he'll love me when his new purple/lilac saddle pad arrives to match his rhythm beads though ... :D

Lovely to read that things have turned round for you and him.
I found an instructor because she was the only person who would teach us. I got told to shoot mine, to which I replied well you stand there, look him in the eye and do it.
Horses are individual and sometimes we learn more from those who arrive that are more challenging. I follow whatever works for the horse at the time.

If I have to pick up anything from your photos its to be very very careful of your mecate rope under the neck. I know the idea is to be able to flex both sides, to be able to jump off and disengage. But be careful on the length.
I only say that after friends pony tripped, put its front leg through got up panicked and flipped straight over.
I used to do this set up with my mare for hacking but changed to an 8ft rope. :)

No, thank you for pointing that out - I noticed it looked a bit too long. He hates to feel restricted so I'm wary of having it too short, but I think it's too long in the photos. It's attached to the saddle via a leather strap with a popper, which should theoretically give under pressure, but I'd rather not test that theory!

I'm thinking of actually getting another halter & a set of rope reins, so there isn't anything he could get himself caught up on, as I don't really need to use the metacate rein anymore in the school & I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'd really like a rope halter & rope reins with a leather breaking point, but not sure if they exist?!

Do you use the 8foot rope as you would a metacate rein? As I do often need to jump off him & lead, out hacking - so something than reins in that instance, could be helpful.

I think I might have just answered my own question re: breaking points (God bless Google)

Do you think these would work? image.jpgimage.jpg

I had safety reins with a leather centre popper. Never needed it on halter as I don't tie up with it. I use a head collar.
My 8 ft reins just meant I had less hanging. I lead using reins over the head now. I changed at one point to a lead rope.

newrider.com