Can I compost horse manure?

Yes, people pay good money for manure where I work. I has to be very well rotted though and some people choose to mix it in with something else as it can be too strong for some plants

Reactions: Alex786
You cant use it new. The good money we and others pay, is the cost of storage to rot it down. Horse droppings contain undigested seeds which grow into weeds. On the other hand OH remembers his mother going out in the street with a shovel to pick up the droppings left by the milk man's horse and putting it straight on the roses in their front garden.
It is said that the city population of sparrows arrived in the 19th century to eat the oat seeds in horse droppings.

Yes, let it rot down first though.

Manure can also be compressed into bricks, dried for a few months and then burned for an odourless fuel.

Yes definitely, ideally it does need mixing with green waste and the whole lot turning routinely to get it to rot through evenly over a year or so. You could also read up on hot composting which will rot it quicker and kill any seeds in it too.
I grew quiet a bit of veg in my composted muck the last 2 years, some plants love it, some don’t so you just have to do some research.

The good money we and others pay, is the cost of storage to rot it down.
But it's also the margin added by retailers so they make a profit from it. And money goes into packaging and transporting it also.

When I got a horse, I started using only horse manure. Studies also confirm that horse manure is better than cow manure. It is especially good to use it in greenhouses, as it is more friable endless moist compared to other types of organic matter.
Also, horse manure, unlike all other types of manure, practically does not smell. And this is a very significant advantage in the suburban area!

When I got a horse, I started using only horse manure. Studies also confirm that horse manure is better than cow manure. It is especially good to use it in greenhouses, as it is more friable endless moist compared to other types of organic matter.
Also, horse manure, unlike all other types of manure, practically does not smell. And this is a very significant advantage in the suburban area!
Looks like you have very good knowledge of Gardening.

newrider.com