can horses eat...

Portia

Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
mint? :confused: as in the herb variety? all my garden mint has overgrown and gone to seed in the heat, but the leaves are still soft and fresh. rather than throw the whole lot out, was wondering if it's ok to give a few stems to boo?

Jolly well hope so - ours have wild mint (several varieties) riddled thro' our 5 acres of grazing. And they're hooked on polos too (though maybe not much real mint in them...).

When I top the fields on our diddy ride-on mower, I can smell the crushed mint. But if I break it off & offer it to ponies, they just turn away.

It's funny, all the "herbal treats" seem to contain mint (and taste slightly minty ;) ), and she loves peppermints (and Bisodol... don't ask), but when I offer Shannon mint, she just turns up her nose. I don't think it's bad for horses, just that they don't seem to want to eat it.

Yes its fine, I have dried and crushed it before now and added it to their feeds and they enjoy it, I don't think they really like it on its own once it has gone a little dry.

J x

newrider.com