can anyone help please?

angel01

Jan 20, 2009
Chshire
Hello

I am new on this site and think its great :)

I was wondering if anyone can help me please.

I am 43 years old have been back in the saddle 4 yrs once a week lessons,

The problem that I find reacurring at the moment is i feel really stiff, and my RI keeps saying that I am stiff in my knees Arrrrrrr this is causing me so much greif.

Can anyone suggest what I could do please as I want my riding to improve so that i can be more relaxed.

I am in middle class jumping now and its effecting my riding.

Is your level of general fitness good? This could be a factor.

May be time to consult your GP, or possibly a chiropractor to get your back checked, I rode for years with a back problem which made me quite one-sided, but Chiro sorted me out.

Alternatively how about some excercise for suppleness, perhaps yoga,Alexander Technique, Pilates, or bellydance! Bellydance is particularly good for core muscle groups, strengthening and suppling back muscles, abdominals and pelvic floor.

Cheers, Midori

anyone do pilates

Hi

I am 43yr old having riding lessons only once a week, and lately im feeling really stiff, my RI says im quite stiff in my KNEE,S.

I wanted to know how many of you go to pilates?

And if so has it helped with your riding? Also what other form of excercise do you do apart from your riding?

I do :) It's helped with my back, strengthened abdominal so they in turn support my back. I've also had to work on general fitness too, do some yoga (stretching), and run a few times a week (stamina/cardio).

What dioes you RI mean by 'stiff knees'? Is it that your feet turn out instead of point forward? Thats' a common problem if so, and relates more to ankle than knee stiffness.

and try these excercises to help -
http://www.equiworld.net/uk/training/meredithmanor/balance3.htm

can you help please

Hi Portia

Hmm not sure she just keeps saying when im in canter that my knees look stiff and need to be more relaxed.

I dont actually feel stiff when im riding and i feel i am a very confident rider.

I think I will start a pilate class and then go for a swim afterwards. my stamina is ok but like everyone as you get older it decreases if you dont keep up with excercise which unfornanatly when you have a full time job and a family its not always that easy.

I do try to stretch before I ride and have found it has helped but then the RI says i still look stiff and need to relax.

is middle class jumping where you moan about the state of local schools & do the ponios wear boden -:D - sorry not helpful but couldnt control myself
re the stiffness - maybe try Yoga - this will help yr posture & give you breathing exercises to help relaxation, also you could look at the web for seom good stretching/warmup exercises to do before you ride & cod liver oi may help yr joints:)

...as you get older it decreases if you dont keep up with excercise which unfornanatly when you have a full time job and a family its not always that easy.....

Am about 10 years older than you, and know exactly what you mean :eek::) thats one of the reasons I kept Blue tbh, so that I had something for ME.
Keep going, it will get easier!

10 mins stretching before and after helps a lot. Yoga and Thai Chi are also great for improving core strength & posture.

Hi Portia

Hmm not sure she just keeps saying when im in canter that my knees look stiff and need to be more relaxed.

I dont actually feel stiff when im riding and i feel i am a very confident rider.

I think I will start a pilate class and then go for a swim afterwards. my stamina is ok but like everyone as you get older it decreases if you dont keep up with excercise which unfornanatly when you have a full time job and a family its not always that easy.

I do try to stretch before I ride and have found it has helped but then the RI says i still look stiff and need to relax.

ok here's a thing......that might help ...... a really good friend and excelletn rider taught me.... after you get on the horse leave your legs out of the strirrups. Have someone hold your horse for you whilst you use your hands of need be to lift each individual leg up and from the pelvis lift your leg up and almost swivel round towards the rear of the horse- so almost rolling your thigh and knee out to show the inside of your leg.

Do legs one at a time and once you have done this you whole leg including knees tend to be less tense / stiff and more ready to sit in the right position!!!

MA ;-)

Hi Portia

My RI says that too when I canter. When she says that, I just relax my thighs so my knees pull away from the saddle and I wrap my lower legs more securely around his barrel. That seems to do the trick, at least she doesn't say my knees are stiff then.

newrider.com