can anyone help please????

I have been away for two weeks and got back today. Called the girl who i share dec with and she hasnt been able to get him in to put on his rug. He is a real pain to catch in the rain and i am worried about him not having his rug on. I bought him a fieldsafe head collar before i went away and hoped this would help:(
I am gonna go down later to try and see if he will come to me ............. any surgestions would be great (treats ect have been tried)

Im assuming a bucket of horse nuts being rattled hasnt worked either?

Will he come to you if you hay the field?

Other than that a lasoo ;)

if you can get hold of him maybe keep him in a smaller paddock with a small hand sized bit of leadrope still attached to the headcollar. Most of all don't try to catch him, make him come to you.

Sit in the field with him, read a book listen to music whatever, you may find curiosity gets the better of him, then possibly treat him if he comes to you :)

Never catch your horse let him catch you, best bit of advice I was ever given, however frustrating it may be :)

Never catch your horse let him catch you, best bit of advice I was ever given, however frustrating it may be :)

I like that, I will remember that next time Sam is being a b*gger, although I have now got him into the habit of realising that mummy in field= treats for sam... so he will follow me about of walk of and then realise I am still there and wonder over for an extra strong mint (Tesco's own brand, 5 packets for 99p, I hide packets all over the yard for emergencies!)

In an emergency I find that rattling a scoop of nuts and carrying a carrot, audio and visual aids, help. Or failing that, a change of person seems to do the trick, a nice calm YO with food is preferable to a half crazed and crying Lot1983!!

yer the horse nuts dont work either.
He went out on a loan over the winter and the girl who had him just left im to starve so his weight is really important at the mo. i worked really hard with him before i went away trying to gain his trust and make him feel he was safe again. He was doing really well and am gutted he wouldnt come in.

if you can get hold of him maybe keep him in a smaller paddock with a small hand sized bit of leadrope still attached to the headcollar. Most of all don't try to catch him, make him come to you.

Sit in the field with him, read a book listen to music whatever, you may find curiosity gets the better of him, then possibly treat him if he comes to you :)

Thats a good point. I tried this the other day with my horse, I stood at the top of the field calling him and then waited for him to come to me.

He looked up, ears forward, took about 5 steps and then carried on grazing but you could see he was still looking at me.

Then again he looked up, ears forward took another 5 steps then grazed again etc etc etc

It took about 5mins for him to come over but it was so funny, I was having a good old chuckle to myself. You could tell he was interested but didnt want me to realise that.

If he won't be caught to come in and get his rug on (even when tempted with food) I would think he's happy enough out rugless, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'b be more worried if he had rug on and you couldn't get him to get it off. Hope you manage to catch him when you go up :)

I was going to say the same thing, he is happy enough without his rug on. Joy won't ever let me forget to put her fly mask on so she needs it.

One thing worth doing is checking the inside of the rug. Make sure there is nothing in there causing discomfort and that it hasn't been rubbing. Also is it relatively clean on the inside? Could he be too hot in there maybe?

newrider.com