Can anyone advise me....(long...)

KW23

Nov 28, 2007
Dorset.....
Hi All,

Really hoping that someone can help me here!!

My boy did not appear sound on Saturday - he was fine being lunged in the round pen on wood chips, but when ridden out on the rode he seemed pretty uncomfortable on his front near leg....checked it, little heat under half way down from knee....mentioned it to his owner, who watched him be trotted up, and said that she was not worried and that he was fine.

He then went out into the summer grazing that night....was out until yesterday (i know this is not great, but nothing that could be done) brought him in, put on some weight (help me!). My mate wanted to practise her dressage test - again lunged him, no problem....she then went into the school....when I looked over, I could see that he was still stiff on the same leg....asked her if he was struggling, which she said 'yes' she trotted him on a circle - he struggled ... checked the leg, more heat and swelling, but not near the hoof, more just under his knee....I also asked a very experienced girl on yard who said he wasn't right...and to box him.

I kept him in last night with some hay, checked him this morning went back tonight took him for a trot up....same person checked him, swelling and heat has gone....I've left him in tonight again with some hay, he's going to go out for a few hours tomorrow, but Im going to keep him in tomorrow night as well I think.....

Problem is, my RI went and checked him for me today as I was so worried, and she seems to think he's got the start of lami....Argh!

I was just wondering if someone can give me some advice, am I doing the right thing??

I worry, as he's not mine and I feel a little useless at the moment!!

Thank you for reading!!

x

Not a definate, but lami normally gives you heat in the foot so don't get a major panic on just yet.
Heat and swelling just below the knee, was it on the inside of the leg? I would maybe consider if it is the start of a splint, this could also explain the soreness on the harder ground. Splints don't always cause lameness or swelling, and sometimes they flare up then settle down for a while, then flare up again, often charging about will make them sore'er and standing in quietly will help them settle.

I agree with jessey; they are usually stiff on front legs if laminitis ( unless obv they have it in hinds!) shift their weight, and would find it very hard to walk on a circle ( hopping around, rather than walking) Heat is a bit of a red hierring, as this time of year most horses will have warm feet.

I would get a vet out if you are worried

newrider.com