can an ideal 1st horse be 'joggy'

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
If a horse could be described as a bit 'joggy' at the beginning of a hack, but just needs a normal contact and talked to to stop it, is this a minor enough issue to still make the horse an ideal 1st horse if its good in every other way?

It has never taken off or been strong(i'm told!)

Depends on who the horse is for - some first time owners would be put off by this and some wouldnt

Personally, I would say no - because this could easily upset a novice rider/owner. A first horse IMO should have no vices/issues ridden or inhand.

It depends. Don't buy a jogger if you have boobs like me, I nearly knock myself out when I hack charlie!

Seriously though, if its just for 5 mins at the beginning of a hack I wouldn't be that put off. While it might be a bit disconcerting the first time, once you'd been on 2 or 3 hacks and seen that nothing came of it/you survived I'm sure it wouldn't bother you in the slightest. In fact, I think horses with a bit of buzz out hacking are much better, there's nothing more boring than a ploddy hack that isn't going anywhere!

agree with happyhacker101 - i wouldnt think it would be the ideal horse for a first timer.....however having said that.....my horse is a joggy horse - i was a novice when i bought her and she taught me well, but i was a confident novice back then and enjoyed her being joggy rather than the plod along that she was advertised as! but it depends on the rider and whether the horse has other 'hidden' naughty behaviour. I know my horse isnt a bucker/rearer and the worst she does is jog on the way home but is easily stoppable.

have you been to try the horse? i would be tempted to go see it anyway (unless the person buying is a nervous novice)

I am reasonably nervous. It always at the beginning of a hack i feel nervous but more about spooking. Once ive had a canter i always feel fine.

Not sure about it altho my horsey expert friend thinks its nothing. I suppose if i experienced it enough then id get used to it but its maybe reason enough not to go see and try. I definitely don't want to waste anyones time. He has been a first horse for her OH so think its something thats not too big an issue. He is apparently quiet in all ways, except when jogging:rolleyes::D

do they struggle to stop him during this jogging? my mare jogs, but is very easy to stop and then make her walk. she will continue to try to jog every now and then, but always easy to stop.

Have you asked if the horse feeds off the riders feelings? ie if you are nervous if he jogs will he be worse? my old mare doesnt care less about how the rider feels, but my young mare is very sensitive to my feelings and acts exactly how i feel.

Personally, i reckon it sounds like it is very promising, i wouldnt and wasnt put off by a joggy horse......if its been a beginners horse before then it cant be that bad really.

and also....it isnt wasting peoples time, if the jogging doesnt scare you then you would buy him, but you dont know until you try....

Male OH's are often far more 'gung ho' about being novice riders, I know several who are hacking out with abilities that would have most women stay in a school! If you get nervous at the start I wouldn't be getting a joggy horse as I suspect you would wind each other up and make the issue worse.

I am reasonably nervous. It always at the beginning of a hack i feel nervous but more about spooking. Once ive had a canter i always feel fine.

Not sure about it altho my horsey expert friend thinks its nothing. I suppose if i experienced it enough then id get used to it but its maybe reason enough not to go see and try. I definitely don't want to waste anyones time. He has been a first horse for her OH so think its something thats not too big an issue. He is apparently quiet in all ways, except when jogging:rolleyes::D

Go and have a look, it cant harm anyone to have a quick look at the horse and see how you feel. The only thing I would say is that you say you always feel nervous at the begining of a hack, if you have a horse that jogs at the start of the hack is this not going to make you feel worse?. I personally dont like horses that jog even if I know the horse isnt going to follow it up with anything worse!

I personally wouldnt want a 'joggy' horse if I was a novice looking for my first horse. I guess it depends on how easy it is to calm the horse down and regain contact and how comfortable you feel doing that.
It may be worth a look if you think you would be ok with that. On the other hand, dont just accept the behaviour issue for the sake of having your own horse. there will be others out there who tick all the boxes, not just some of them :)

do agree with EML - my beginner OH, is totally not bothered by any naughty behaviour even though he has awful riding technique!! lol! (dont tell him :D)

I have thought about the male bravado thing and considered this. This oh half has only been riding for 9 months but now takes off infront on a hack leaving her behind! He sounds brave to me!

My ex would describe his self as walk trot and canter, so would i. He has had say 10 lessons to my say 100 and it wasn't that he was a fast learner.

If i was on a horse i knew and trusted who jogged and was easy to bring back id be fine but its getting to that stage isn't it.

Go and have a look, it cant harm anyone to have a quick look at the horse and see how you feel. The only thing I would say is that you say you always feel nervous at the begining of a hack, if you have a horse that jogs at the start of the hack is this not going to make you feel worse?. I personally dont like horses that jog even if I know the horse isnt going to follow it up with anything worse!

I wish having a 'quick' look was an option but he is 3.5 hours away. With 3 small kids in the car (not fun)

I think it's a man thing.

My friend bought a horse for herself, which ended up being a horse for her and her husband. he has very little riding experience but seems to think he is a budding Tim Stockdale.
He hates flatwork lessons because he finds them 'boring' and all he wants to do is tank off on a hack or jump in a lesson - when he does have one!

unfortunately i think theres only 2 ways of deciding if his jogging is manageable for you:

1. go to view....go for a day trip with the kids (or can someone babysit?)
2. can you see if they can video the horse going out on a ride? long shot but be interesting to see how bad it is?

Men eh youve got to love them!! Mines not been brave enought to even sit on one yet. He feels he is just mastering patting them!!:D

I did ask if they had a video of him being ridden but they don't. DId say it really wasn't a prob and needs just a normal contact and a bit of a 'chat'!!

Still mulling it over.

So hard to make and stick to my decision. So far ive decided twice that i will forget the whole thing and just wait like i had planned. It was only if he was going to be the perfect boy for me i was considering it. Maybe im looking for a reason not to. Its a hard one.

If he's near me, I'll go and try him for you! then report back and you can decide whether or not you will make the trip down (depending on where horse is);)

BTW - I've ridden and owned horses for years but still have my nervous moments!

I think it depends on the individual, some people would get really put off by this whereas others would mind in the slightest. Personally, if you were looking for an ideal first horse, there are plenty out there that don't jog for you to choose from :)

My daughters arab used to jogg everywhere, didnt know the word walk. She also went everywhere sideways. i.e. jogged sideways everywhere with eyes facing forward looking rather mental.....on a LOOSE rein! Never, ever, took off. She just used to get rid of her nervous pent up energy that way.

I never got on her, but I am rather nervous, I have a very fertile imagination, although I am a good rider, my nerves couldnt cope with that.

I agree 'strongly' with someone else riding first to make sure for you. My daughter still gets on mine first regularly before I ride just to check where his head is although I am probably the better rider.

Good luck let us know the outcome. Very difficult decision. :confused:

newrider.com