can an ideal 1st horse be 'joggy'

I'm a first time owner - my boy is a jogger and it doesn't bother me in the least. He is very easy to bring back down though. Sometimes I prefer it when he jogs as he has a very slow walk!

As a nervous hacker myself, I would have to say a big NO. Jogging is a sign of tension/excitment and it means that the horse isn't listening to what you are saying. A perfect first horse for a novice should walk when asked to walk, it shouldn't be a battle. I would say that a horse who jogs at the start of a hack may be prone to becoming more easily excited when confronted with different situations. What about if you meet some other horses and riders who are going faster than what you want to - will the horse start to jog then as well?

My Arab was a jogger, lol, it never bothered me, he NEVER went anywhere.

I would go as far as to say he was 110% SAFE, but 'other' people didn't know that:D

It made him look far more 'impressive' lol, than he EVER was and ME a far
better Rider than I really am:D It was always just excitement at being out and about OR if stood at
a junction 'keeness' to get on, but he would never 'get on' without my say so, lol. He would also 'smack' his
bottom lip, lol.

You have to try the Horse, gauge how it makes YOU feel, IF you don't
feel comfortable/safe with it there is no point in going any further, however,
if it doesn't really bother you and you still feel in control, he could be 'the one';)

Last edited:
Personally I don't like jogging out hacking - and Storm did it and I still went ahead and bought her, but it gave me enormous confidence issues later on down the line - so thinking if I could turn the clock back then perhaps I'd have paid more attention to OH when he kept labouring the point about her jogging! She didn't exactly tank off, but she took ages to settle.

newrider.com