Calming Supplements?

I think calmers are one of those things that are quite individual to each horse but I've had good results using Magnesium Oxide. It's taken the edge off my very lively mare (everything was an excuse to take off at speed) without making her seem dull. Equimins have a product called Serenity that is Magnesium based, I've heard good reports.

I found Placid a bit useless, but Stroppy Mare worked for a friend's mare. There is a boy's version too-Stroppy Gelding!

Cool mix? I found it took the edge off of Kally.

My dressage instructor suggested 'So Kalm' to me. I never tried it tho because my horse only gets really over excited in competition and given that I really only compete once a month at best I figured that £30 was too much to add on to the entry fee which is what it would cost to supplement his feed during the whole time.

Apparently there is nothing (I asked) that you can give a couple of days before except Bachs. But I tried that and it had no effect.

Sorry not much help was I!! Dont know why I replied really other to tell you what was recommended to me.:rolleyes:

I have found that getting the vet to do a blood test has always been a good first step in case they are low in things such as magnesium.
We are feeding our tizzy mare a competition nerve tonic that doesn't contain any banned substances and have also put her on a more natural feeding regime.

Ditz, there's a calming paste that you can give the day of an event, I think Frogpool Manor sell it and I think it's called Nupafeed. It's an oral paste designed to be given just prior to competitions, etc. There's a liquid supplement by the same manufacturers for long-term use but the paste is definitely for one-off situations.

Ditz,
There is also a liquid product made by Naff (saw it yesterday but can't remember name) which is specifically for competing.

It should be given to the horse 24 hours prior to competing and again 2 hours before.

Going to try bob on it when we go out to our first comp.

I could get the name if you are interested.

I use Tranquil E on my filly who has been a real handful and I know that Janice H has been using it on her new pony it has worked so well on both of them it's hard to believe they are the same pony

i had good results with placid (that is the herby one, isn;t it? not a powder - more leaves and flowery bits?) a while ago with a pony who just needed the edge off him. he'd been abused and had gotten into the habit of panicking and throwing himself around whenever he got scared - the placid just helped him stop and think before reacting so i was able to get through to him and work through the things he was frightened of.

Bebe, DavidH thanks for that I am amazed. I specifically asked at the tack shop and they told me there was nothing on the market because the cost was prohibitive.

I;d be interested to see how it works on Bob too;)

I would definitely recommend Nupafeed. I use the booster on the day of the show and it only costs £8. Worked a treat. Everyone commented on how relaxed my mare looked for a change. I dont bother with a daily calming supplement as it is only really at shows that she gets a exitable now.

Cassidy

Maïssa was completely over the top a couple of weeks ago :eek: and was becomming impossible - My trainer decided it was all feed based and I was feeding too much.....She has ad-lib hay and was getting 5 scoops of Barley morning and evening as well as ad-lib vitamin and mineral lick - I've cut her Barley down to 2 scoops morning and evening and she is a different horse, still forward going and full of energy, she has lost no weight, but is much calmer and easier to ride now :)

My trainer reckons the difference between too little, the right amount and too much feed is a matter of ounces :eek:

Nupafeed works well (it is magnesium based), there is a similar one on the amrket but the name escapes me.

I use So-Kalm Plus for Tavia in the week running up to a competition - it certainly reduces spooking and she stops shouting. Friend uses it on her big gelding and it works for him as well. It certainly makes them more rideable without flattening them. I've also used Rescue remedy quite successfully with Tavia and Peri, although I did find Peri went a bit flat with it unless it was a very big occasion.

Steady -up had no effect on Peri what so ever so never bothered trying it again.

newrider.com