Calming drugs...good or bad?

The Sheep

BlackSheep
Jul 30, 2005
I live in TN
My horse is really skittish. he not only spooks at everything, he bolts as well. He's amazing 2 ride at home where he's used 2 surroundings, but when i take him 2 a show or trail ride he gets really hard 2 handle. We've tried that all natural Quitex paste...but it didn't work AT ALL! We're going 2 a show next saturday and thinking about giving him a sedative. do those harm the horse in any way? will my horse get immune 2 the drugs? how long does it take 4 the drugs 2 kick in? Help!!!!

(Sorry to sound snotty, but would it be okay for you to use words instead of numbers? Much easier to read! ^_^;)

As for your horse.. drugs are bad unless they're painkillers in my opinion. I think that if you REALLY want to show, you should do so on a different horse. Remember, just like some people, some horses do not like to be thrown into a brand new atmosphere with new horses and new people and all that exited buzzing around nature of people at shows. That is acceptable in my mind, that some horses just do not like showgrounds. Remember that most horses don't see a great deal of point in shows, so theres no reason to make them do something like that. While you might find it fun, do you really think that the chance of a ribbon is worth sedating your horse? Sedatives are VERY frowned upon in the horse world these days, and if your goal with showing is big enough to make you keep on showing this horse, keep in mind that in upper levels drug tests are done. I belive Cian O'Connor was actually taken down fromt he Olympics because he sedated one of his horses or sopmething along those lines (might have been two horses).

Sedative slow down reaction time, so that's going to effect your performance. If your jumping or doing cross country, this can be VERY dangerous.

However, apart from shows, doing more desensitizing and familiarizing excersises can and probably will help your horse. Be creative and introduce him to bright hings, loud things, things that move easily. When on trail rides, go with whoever owns his pasture buddies so he'll have familiarity with him for the first few rides, and then bring a new horse along, until you have him going with horses he normally doesn't associate with.

But again, drugs=bad (Imagine if you were going to perform at a sporting event and you had huge bouts of nerves, and somebody just stabbed a tranquilizer into you. Not fun. Horses who get tranquilized probably associate shows with bad feelings)

To be honest I'd never dope a horse to show it. It's not the safest thing to do - and if he's acting up because he's nervous or excited sedating him could actually cause him to panic completely. Apart from anything else, I think most show organisers wouyld take a very dim view of it.

Horses usually behave this way because they're nervous, excited, inexperienced, or a combination of all three. Most horses that behave impeccably at home will behave differently at shows - the answer is to take things slowly and work on getting your horse used to shows. Take him to small, quiet shows instead of big busy ones. Don't compete - just take him along, unload him, and take him around the quiet areas - let him get used to the whole situation.

You've hit the nail on the head when you say he behaves in 'familiar surroundings' - he needs to learn that unfamiliar surroundings are safe too. You can't achieve that through drugging him - just by working with him quietly and consistently, and by not expecting too much. Take teh pressure off him - take him to a trail, stand with him, give him a small feed and come home. Try making trips out ordinary and less stimulating, until he starts to quieten down - and he will. It's time and patience that will solve this - not dope.

*sigh*

thanx guys! i gess i won't use drugs. I didn't think they were "frowned upon." thanx. but if i were a horse, i'd love calming drugs! in fact i wish i could take some before a show or an oral report or something, lol. Well, this is my only horse to take 2 a show and i would never sell him cause i love him to death. i bet the more shows he does, the calmer he'll get right? he's 16 and still spunky! you'd think he'd calm down at about 12!
Thanx again!

If you want to calm your horse, try lavendar oil - that's calming. You could always rub a bit on his noseband or bit rings or actually on his nose. Steer clear of any chemical drugs unless you really have to use them.

although you've said you've tried Quitex (never heard of it actually!) have you tried any of the herbal calmers that go into their feeds. There seems to be a wide range available and you may need to try a few that work.

As regards the fizzing up at shows, why don't you go to a few shows and just let him look around, don't actually compete at them. That's what most people with young horses do to get them acclimatised.

when i took sophie to her first show, she was three and we entered two inhand classes, she was a NIGHTMARE, absolutely awfull reared yp the whole time and managed to throw herself over at one point! :eek: anyway, shes now five and last week i bit the bullet and took her to another show!! this one was much smaller and we were in the clear round jumping. she was a DREAM couldnt have asked for a better behaved horse, i am soo proud of her!!

anyway, point being, that maybe he just need more time, get used to going to new places and doing exciting things!! how old is he? what is he fed on, whats his turnout loike etcc...?

lavender oil...good idea! thanx! i'll try that. and in answer to vmdawes question: My horse merlin is 16 y/o and we feed him only a 1/4 scoop of oats at night. (He gets fat in the summer!) and he has a big stall and 2 1/2 acres of land 2 graze on w/ my mom's mare.
I'm taking him to my grandad's property 2morrow and i'm gonna ride him around there, just to c how he does. I'll try the lavender oil there too. I'll keep u guys posted! and thanx again 4 helping!
And i'm entering him in a halter class next week so if u have any tips on halter classes, tell me!! lol, i've never done one before so I don't really know what I'm doing.
Thanx!

Remember that while your probaby nervous before a show because your exited and want to do it, alot of horses who get very nervous and act up are actually not enjoying it at all. (Of course some are just very eager to do their 'job')

We were discussing this yesterday afternoon in my lesson and decided that show horses get nervous and antsy and in some cases crazy and lathered because when they go into that ring they get all of this pressure to do well because if they do, they get rewarded, and if not, it's a let down. Showing a horse isn't always just happy-land for the horse.

Yes, but you gotta understand, the horses aren't here to be spoiled and pampered and get their way all the time (altho I do that w/ my horse anyway!) Horses need 2 get used to different things, places, sites, sounds, even if they don't like it. No horse likes to be taken from their surrounding the first time. Merlin (my pony) was trained for dressage when he was younger so he knows about shows. I know he can handle it. It's just he tends to bolt when he gets scared...and that scares me!! lol, but I'm kinda used to it....I've had him for almost 5 yrs....ANYWAY, I don't think giving up and letting him sit in the pasture for the rest of his days is the best idea. HE needs to get out, lol! But I won't drug him...as Loopslou and Cheko suggested, herbs and lavender oil might just calm him:)

Also, this is a fun schooling little bitty tiny show! Not the kind where horses get all lathered up...I'm guessing, most of the horses there will be school ponies...lol
Thanx everybody, all r a great help!:)

Last edited:
let us know how the show goes, perhaps he will be better this time, if you keep your nerves/excitement in check he may do the same. give yourself loads of time to settle him before your class too.

Good luck ;)

But isn't tranq illegal in shows? I know it is in horse racing. But even if it isn't, I really don't like tranq. If the horse is afraid of shows, or if you are acting nervous, tranqulizing the horse is a bit pointless. You aren't helping him at all, because he isn't learning to face his fear of shows, and you are still going to be nervous.
Try to just bring your horse to shows to get used to the surroundings. You can just lead him around like a big dog on a halter and rope on the pathways, so he can learn that this is just a place to compete, not a place to be afraid.

i'm not going 2 tranqlize him!! lol, He'd be unconcious! i think u mean sedate...but u have a good point, he wouldn't face his fears:) I won't drug him....and I'll just do a halter class this time instead of riding him:)
I'll let you know how the show goes!!:)
Thanx guys!

can you please not use numbers in your words or other forms of shortening words as it becomes very difficult for those of us with dyslexia to read and as a result you will get less replys.

it is against the rules to show when the horse is sedated.

to calm a horse down at shows you have to get them used to the buzz, this involves lots of trips to shows where you do nothing but walk round the field preferably with an older more experianced horse with you.
i use rescue remedy to take the edge off their nerves, but too much causes them to go flat in the ring and not sparkle as they should.

Grrrrrr... Angerness

As i said before....*sigh* THIS IS A VERY SMALL SHOW AND IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOUR HORSE IS SEDATED WE CALLED AND ASKED... and also as i said before: I AM NOT GOING TO DRUG MY HORSE....ok...ALSO: I am very sorry if you r dislexic but some ppl don't have the time to write out every single little word. This is a forum. Not a newspaper article. Needs not 2 be perfect. Sorry if i sound rude but i have 2 go back to school in 2 days!!! I don't wanna have to spell everything right until I have to!!! Lol, ANYWAY... I took my horse to my grandads farm and he did WONDERFUL! He trotted fast and tossed his head a bit but he did much better than I thought he would! I even cantered him bareback!!:) I think he likes bareback better! Lol, So, I hope he'll do as good in shows! thanx for the suggestions!!!:)

Kanuma, what is rescue remedy? It sounds great! Where could I get some?

Lets not argue about it. I'm not the one at fault here. You are getting off the topic of horses. I asked about rescue remedy....:) abreviations r not sinful. And I apologize AGAIN for sounding rude. But what i say is true.:) don't be mad, be happy!!! :)))) So where do i get rescue remedy? and how do i use it?

rescue remedy is a herbal remedy that you can get over here in the UK, i dont know about in the states, i get mine from Boots or the herbal shop, its made by bach remedies. you put about 10 drops on a peice of bread 20 mins before your class and it takes the edge off. that said it will not calm a very spooky or excited horse, i use it on my arab as he sweats himself up in the trailer through nerves without it, with it he comes off the trailer fine.

no matter how short your time is there is always time to be polite, whilst one or two abbreviations is ok your first post was full of them and it took me 20 mins to read it, if it had not been my first language then i probably couldnt have read it. normaly i see a post full of abbreviations and just skip it, as do alot of people, so many more people will reply if you loose alot of your text speak

Last edited by a moderator:
newrider.com