Cally's first hack on the roads.... Eventful but we all survived!

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I was a bit too busy for ears shots... Next time, maybe.

Well I had to bite the bullet some time. We have done plenty of off-road hacking round the farm. And we have been offsite in the trailer. But to hack out without the trailer we have to do road-work. And today was the day. I had 2 other horses with me who are older. She was not at all spooky but was VERY excited. Not sure why, really as she has been calmer on wide grassy tracks than she was on the roads. Maybe a combination of being somewhere new coupled with all the sights and sounds on residential streets: cars, strimmers, workmen on roofs, school-kids the playground etc etc. I could control her pace - she stayed behind the others - but not her gait. So we often had jogging when we should have had walking and cantering when we should have had trotting! We did lots of long uphill trots and I discovered she is VERY fit - I was hoping she would lose some of her fizz after a few minutes of strong uphill trotting but not a bit of it!. On the final uphill trot near home, she got a bit stronger and we ended up cantering sideways up the road which set the other horses off. Oh dear. We all tried to walk the rest of the way but straight after this hill we were back on the 'gallopy field' leading to the farm and the first horse took off. I stayed in control of Cally (just) but we had mini rears and jumps forward in her enthusiasm to follow. I did my singing trick (to the rhythm of a 4 beat) and slowly she dropped back into a calm walk in time with my warbling! And then we walked home on a long rein and she was fine. 90% of the time she was fab. The other 10% got a little hairy at times, but for her first trip out, I think she did quite well. Can only get better from here. She clearly loved every minute - ears pricked, striding out - so that was good.

Well done!! May it be the first positive hack out of many, hopefully Callys excitement calms and in future she relaxes a bit :) x

Reactions: KP nut
See me being me would have taken her out either in hand first couple of times or on our own, I definitely wouldn't have gone with others who were a bit excitable! You are very brave.

Reactions: Trewsers
See me being me would have taken her out either in hand first couple of times or on our own, I definitely wouldn't have gone with others who were a bit excitable! You are very brave.

I feel much more in control from the saddle than from the ground. The idea of leading her is much scarier than riding her. Also I feel safer with other horses. We rode 2 abreast with me on the inside of one horse and behind the other.

Last edited:
Sounds like she would have been much better on her own to be honest, with company like that! When we take the youngsters out for the first time they go out with ONE other horse and one who is sensible and not going to be set off / wound up by the youngster's behaviour. A group hack on the roads for a youngster's first time is a disaster waiting to happen and puts other road users at risk too. I don't blame Cally for being a bit excited and I know you will have done what you could to keep her calm, but the other riders really should have been able to control their own horses regardless of Cally's antics. And IMO it was massively irresponsible of your companions to take you somewhere they always gallop towards home (an awful habit as it is!) - especially considering they weren't in control themselves! I would find a quiet, safe horse to accompany you next time and not something that is going to teach her bad habits like bombing off. Be safe.

We never gallop towards home on the gallopy field. Its just called that because the kids often do. The other horses are normally very safe and steady. We were all surprised they reacted like that towards home. I think it was the combination of Cally's behaviour and being near home that wound them all up. It is a shame you have to cross a big open field to get to the farm but there's no other way unless you go on a super fast A road.

I would actually keep them all in walk, focusing on control and being chilled next time. A good brisk walk up hill is far more hard work for them then a trot, however fast!

Reactions: joosie
Haha, good little Cally. She must have been trying very hard to be good and keep the pace you wanted even though every excited bit of her was dying to be off! Actually it sounds very similar to my hack on a Fell pony and he wasn't even a baby, just hadn't been out for a while (can't remember why). He was just so keen to get on with the job and he had stamina to spare too. Do love the enthusiasm of Fells!

Reactions: KP nut
Took her out on the roads again today. Took @joosie 's advice and just went with one other. And took @Gimp 's advice and stayed in walk. She was 100% calmer which was fab. Tiny spooks at a garage door being shut and a postman banging a letter box. Then a bigger spook at some roadworks. I did not know they were there or I would have avoided them. It was a really weird metallic ringing noise! She HATED it. So we went up a side road to avoid going past them. Walked across the gallopy field on a long rein in walk. Hurray for Cally.

newrider.com