Calling all Criollo Owners/Riders!

Princess Anne

Aug 1, 2010
A question I've been pondering for a few weeks now ..

Do you think Criollos are 'standard text-book' western-trained horses or are there some differences?

I've recently bought a Criollo and have been riding to the 'text-book' western style as I've been (briefly) taught and after having watched many, many, many western lesson videos etc.

It works to some extent with my boy, but I have this underlying feeling that Argentinian Criollo training is NOT exactly the same.

All views would be gratefully received :smile:

And any views on Criollos in general (their behavious/character etc) would be EXCELLENT!

HRH PA

XXXXX

I have a part bred (not 100% her dam was a Criollo but she was imported from Argentina to play polo :))

She is 3 and only just being backed but she is taking to it so well (as she has taken to everything and she is by far the easiest youngster I have had dealings with- such an old head on young shoulders)

That's interesting NA!

Your horse is quite young so easily trainable to your way of riding! Mine is 18 so I'm having to fit in with HIS way of being trained.

Did you consciously pick a part-criollo?

HRH PA X

I did look at Criollos and hanker after one, but theres a little story behind why I got her.

I was looking for a stallion to put to my mare and found one I liked that was local but was too big really.
I saw a mare for sale who was local that I liked and was the right height and build for what I wanted, she was in foal (to the above stallion) but was too expensive for me.
Then on the day I was supposed to pick my mare up from stud as she had scanned not in foal I spotted that the mare I liked above had her foal and it was for sale, so we phoned up and drove into Wales to view her, and that's how I got my little one :biggrin:

I was told when I got there that her dam had been imported by a polo club from Argentina but she was too stocky so she was sold on to a farrier, who then sold her on at a horse sales which is where the person who put her in foal got her from. She was only 8 and I was offered her as well and I really wanted her but couldn't justify any more horses, she was sold to someone who had other Criollos in the end.

Heres my little one with her Dam
kikiandspottie-2.jpg

And heres my little one now
25gzdaa.jpg

Is there a gaucho in ** house??!!! :bounce: I've been avidly watching criollo vids with gauchos riding trying to spot the subtle differences.

She's lovely NA! Not so little ;)

Wish I could work out how to put photos up.

Not as little as she was no, she's 15hh now, slightly taller then her mum. Still got the dopey expression though :giggle: (btw the pic is from the first time she was sat on)

Dad had a Criollo that came from Argentina. Hugo didn't respond particularly well to the western saddle and subsequent position, so dad got a version of an argentinian saddle that involved a couple of bits of rawhide and a dead animal pelt :D this puts you very much into the armchair seat (and it felt like it with the deer hide/sheep skin) so your legs are very far forward.:(

Thanks for the info Elly! I've just been watching vids of criollos (AGAIN!) and they all had the 'gaucho' saddle. I nearly bought one in preference over the western - I thought more contact for leg aids would be better. Wish I'd bought it now!!

I think your info about a higher rein would be useful for Shadow - and it's how I've seen criollos being ridden. I've been using the 'loose' western rein which he used respond to no problem, but now he's taken to spinning and reversing and I think he would benefit from closer contact and more leg contact (which I can't necessarily get on the Western saddle) Mind you, I quite like the horn to hang onto when he b***gers off!!!)

Shadow is quite an old hoss (18)and delights in falling asleep and looking as if butter wouldn't melt! Underneath though, he's a character waiting to wake up! And now he's woken up!

Fun times ahead I can tell :smoke:

Here is the vid I've been watching with interest - quite far removed from Western reining etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiKFygCCxXU&feature=related

Not as little as she was no, she's 15hh now, slightly taller then her mum. Still got the dopey expression though :giggle: (btw the pic is from the first time she was sat on)

Shadow's got the dopey expression as well :bounce: He's 15.1 (on one side anyway!)

Poor, poor Shadow :help:

He came to us hoping for a quiet life and has been led astray his naughty neighbours :bounce::mstickle:

When you go into photobucket when you bring up the photo you want on the left hand side of the page near the bottom are some small boxes one starts with IMG**** left click on that and choose copy then paste it on your post, sorry if I don't make sense I would never get a career in teaching:redface:

newrider.com