**calling adults on ponies! please look here!**

Vicki1986

Mar 1, 2006
please could i have a show of hands of who oever the age if 17 rides a pony 14.3 or under - and state if you compete or not, and if you would compete if there were more "seniors on ponies" type classes.
i am trying to research the lack of classes to accomodate adults on ponies and how people feel about it! (particularly in Sj'ing)

I am 41 and most of the time I ride a 13.2 Welsh Section 'C' and have just started my baby part bred welshie and she is about 14.1, I don't compete at the moment, but I wouldn't mind if there were a bit more choice in classes. I am an adult who rides ponies and am loving it, the 13.2 was my daughters first pony and now I have claimed her as mine I wont let the kids ride her as I am having a blast or perhaps it's a mid life crisis:eek:

We have done inhand showing but not ridden.

Last edited:
it's not really an issue for me, as we have no age restrictions on M&M ponies. i ride a 13.3hh NF, and the vast majority of my competitors are adults. i've jumped unafflicted on ponies up to about 3 foot - haven't done afflicted.

Im 24 and I compete on a 14.1 there seems to be a few more classes which are split juniors and seniors now than when i started jumping, but still the majority of the summer shows restrict the jumping to 14.2 and under 16 years and under :confused:
Surely it should be split on the size of the pony/horse you ride? the reason I say this is because when i jump against seniors I will have an advantage because my 14.1 can turn alot tighter than what a 16.2 could for example.
Whats everyones elses thoughts

I'm an adult with a pony and if there were more accessible shows, I probably would compete with him but only in native pony classes, or showjumping which he likes. (again native pony classes only)

Last edited:
I'm 51 years of age and ride a 13.2hh Fell pony. However I wouldn't compete on him simply because he is now very much a veteran at 26 and is suitable for light hacking only because of recent back problems. Although - on thoughts - a veteran in hand mountain and moorland class would be possible! Now there's a thought for next year . . . :D

I'm 23 and I own a 14.2hh pony and yes if there were classes specifically for adults on ponies then I would enter then.

xx

Im 17 does that count?:)

I own a 13.1 welshie and use to compete but dont anymore due to not having the facilities to practice and not being able to get anywere anymore,I still would if i could though

I am well past 17 and only have "ponies", well, horses under 14hh, I ride them in M&M competitions, or ridden classes for their specific type.

Also been known to compete in Icelanidc oval track stuff.

i'm 20 and i ride my small cousins new pony, he's 14.2hh. Done a couple of shows in him but just small local stuff

my old ride was 14.2hh and i was competing against the kids, which felt a tad bit wrong! I was placed 2nd by the judge - cause she felt that a kid should win the pony class. :eek:

*raises hand*

Yup, pony rider right here and I am 18. I do actually show my pony. I only do the local shows because there is no division for me as an adult to ride a pony in. My barn helps run the shows that I compete in and they are actually talking about putting in an adult large pony division, which would be so great!

i am 18 and own 2 14.2hh arabs... I don't do much jumping due to my mad ponies i own :eek::(. I mainly do dressage so the size of them doesn't matter as much but there is an interschools competition in my area and when i was still at school even if i'd wanted to do it i couldn't... For ages 14 (could have been 15 - can't remember) and over you had to ride a novice test and the jumps were up to a metre (3'3"). If my ponies did jump it would still not be fun going round a course built for a horse of at least 15.2hh. The striding it out... you would have to have a superb showjumping pony to make up the striding expecially with spreads up to a metre wide as well as high!

i'm 17 and ride a 12.3hh dartmoor hill pony.i'd like to do more showjumping classes-he jumps 2'9" at home with me but i'm WAY out of the age range to ride him in most shows, except for small M&M but he gets bored very quickly doing flatwork and i'm rubbish at it!

I'm almost 17 and will always be a pony rider (had a go on my sister's friend's new 15.2hh the other day... got off after 5 minutes, I was too far off the ground and it felt too weird!). I have a 14hh Fell and also often ride my sister's 13.2hh Welshy. I don't compete but I'm doing A Level PE and am doing horse riding as my main sport so I'm gonna have a go at Dressage in the summer. I do lots of hacking so might be able to do some pleasure rides with a couple of endurance riders at the yard too, yay! I'd love to do SJ or small XC in the future if I had a pony who enjoyed jumping (small log out hacking is Lisa's limit...) but there does seem to be a lack of things for pony riders. I think BE should have a smaller level than Intro since 3ft XC is a bit of a stretch for a lot of ponies!

I'm 23 and i've done some walk/trot dressage with my 13.2hh Cassie and 14.1hh Phantom, plus we've done best combination open classes, and I jump my 13.3hh loan pony Saphy, plus we're doing some dressage on sunday, and I will be showing her in the summer, doing ridden m & m, pre-veteran qualifiers, working hunter pony, best combination, and things like that.

I'm really lucky that in the last couple of years the shows now cater for adults riding ponies, there's not much that I can't go in because of my age, and there are TONS of local shows. My Riding Club splits its showing into junior and senior, but horse any size, and has separate pony and horse jumping up to 3 foot, rider any age.

Yes I find myself competing against kids a lot but I don't think it's unfair, they keep beating me in the jump offs!

I would like trailblazers to allow adults to jump ponies though.

newrider.com