Cabin Fever - ARGH (potty training the mini one)

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Decided on a whim to start potty training mini-ruskii on Saturday, I've been out a few times but would like to stay in a bit more to help her out and reduce the accidents, gah the amount of washing and disinfecting I'm doing after her accidents. Feel like I need to get out - climbing the walls.

How long did it take for your little one's to cotton on ? :banghead:

How old is your little one? My son was about 2.5yo when we started this and I remember it well :smile: although I hear little girls are quick to cotton on??

Our son got to grips with it very quickly, we had "house pants" that were basically pants, "going out pants" that were pull ups and "night time pants" that were also pull ups

Worked well for us and if there were any accidents away from home, it didnt matter although we told him from the start that it was best to try his best to tell us in time!

Good luck

She's 2.5 (3 in July) - thought we were getting somewhere yesterday and tri morning but back to square one now :banghead:

Each of mine was different.My eldest i tried at 2 1/2 and after 3 or 4 days she hadn,t got it so i put a nappy back on and tried again when she was 3.She got it fine then.She was dry at night by 3 1/2.My youngest 2 were fab.From the first day i took their nappies off they were dry day and night :smile:
It sounds corny but she,ll do it when shes ready :smile:

It sounds corny but she,ll do it when shes ready :smile:

Got to agree ... the first time i tried it little legs was about 2, and he just couldn`t grasp it. I was frustrated too, like you, and a friend said to me "he`s not ready, when he is he`ll get it straight away" ... so we went back to pull ups, but then he started asking for his potty himself, and was dry overnight. I think he was 2.5 years old when he asked me for "big boy pants" (normal undies, not pull ups) ... and was done in 48 hours ... had the odd accident here and there as you do with young ones ... But haven`t looked back.

She`ll get it, don`t panic, and it does just seem to happen overnight.

I am with the 'they'll get it when they're ready' crowd too. Now buying really cute big girl underpants did help and motivate my little one a little bit. She's all about dressing up. So maybe get some cute pony undies? But don't stress it if it's not happening right this week...

I seem to remember using star charts as an incentive with mine. If she's still not quite got it, Ruskii, perhaps you need to wait another two or three months..... I can remember having the potty on the bottom tray of the buggy and wheeling mine into alleyways beside the shops in times of emergency!! :giggle:

My son took ages lol (he is 23 now:eek: would go nuts if he knew I was posting but not on here anyhow) I can remember going everywhere with potty. We even had to stop in Canterbury high street one day (Middle of winter, I remember the Christmas decoration shop). I had a really bad shoulder un just had to get out off house, I never could stand being stuffed up in doors. Anyhow no one took any notice and my my shoulder got better, some time later. He did'nt do to bad in day as time went by but he wasn't dry at nights for ages, 3, or 4 maybe or might even might have been night before school:help: Anyway The days weren't to bad, just had to be vigilant like with a puppy. He took along time to be dry at nights though, not helped by fact that I couldn't get up early and was happy to let him sleep lol (much needed respite for me). We eventually got there with a 'dry nights' chart ( i have kept it, sad:smile:) Every night he went dry we put a gold star on chart. It worked! I promise you he doesn't wet bed or pants anymore:dance:

Last edited:
I don't mean here to sound at all patronising or condescending,(so apologies in advance if it comes across that way),but can I give you some advice not only as a mum but also as a former child care provider (qualified in education and development)??

Make sure your child is ready for toilet training as if she's not you're just setting her up to fail and going to cause yourself a whole lot of stress and possible problems for the future.

Does she recognise the need to use the toilet,and more importanly does she recognise when she's been??

The amount of parents I had to have the talk with about toilet training when I worked in childcare (I refused to assist with it if the child was plainly not ready).I had children sent to me that were supposedly 'ready' that would quite happily walk around with wet pants and not notice they had been until I pointed it out to them!!

If they don't understand or recognise the urge to go or at least the sensation of having gone (or preferably when they've just started to go!!),then they can't possibly be successful at toilet training.They will just have accident after accident and slowly lose their confidence with it,or worse stop trying and get in the habit of not othering where or when they do it.

Sorry for the lecture,it wasn't meant to sound that way,but just trying to explain properly what I mean:redface:

Assuming your daughter *is* ready and willing then my advice would be definitely stay at home as much as poss,let her go without pants/bottoms so can reach the pot quicker and less for her to have to faff around with.Sit her on it after each sleep and mealtime (very much like a puppy lol),and at regualr intervals when playing or concentrating (engrossed children generally means accidents!!).

Has she chosen her own pot or toilet seat?? Bit of input will generate interest and motivation,little girls especially tend to have an opinion and like to do it on their terms I have found:wink:

I had 3 boys,eldest was 2 yrs 2 months did it in a matter of days with only two accidents the whole time including at night,middle one tried it at just over 2 yrs and wasn't getting it within a week so assumed not ready and left it 6 months and then he managed it in a couple of weeks also with minimal accidents.Waited until 2 yrs 9 months with the youngest before even attempting it as worked out that was summer time and is much easier in summer,just leave half dressed and outside,much easier on the cleaning front!! He was very easy and more or less trained himself in a week or so.

All different and no hard and fast rules,they all get there is the way to think about it.By the time they're all at school none of them are still in nappies are they:wink:

Good luck!!

I do think that there is a right time, and if you get the timing right then it will be easy. I resisted (ignored) all helpful suggestions and comments to potty train my son until I felt sure he was good and ready. And that was when he was 3 and a half.
I took his nappy off on Friday and by Sunday he was using a potty comfortably. We only had two accidents. By the end of the week he was using the toilet and flushing it and washing his hands independently. I am amazed at how easy it was - I expected it to be so hard.
I honestly believe though that it was so easy because he was exactly ready for it.

Agree, they need to be ready. Modern nappies absorb liquid so babies don't know they are wet. They don't link the feeling of needing a wee with weeing and then with being wet! To potty train babies need to:
recognise the urge
be able to hang on or choose to let go
know what weeing feels like
know when they have finished.

None of those things are immediately obvious to them.

(Kids in cloth nappies learn much quicker btw because the nappies get wet, so they know when they are weeing.)

2.5 is still young. If she is really struggling, stick her back in nappies for a few months then try again. And never ever make a big deal of it, or they'll get tense/anxious. Good luck! They all get there in the end :)

Oh you are now Thyme & Me! :)
agree on all accounts. Mine potty learned on their own account at age 2 - but they also always wore cloth diapers (nappies), not disposables.
Every kid will be ready in their own time. :)

newrider.com