C1 LGV test - anyone taking or taken it?

Elly Koopman

Oct 22, 2004
Norwich, Norfolk
Visit site
As I now don't have a resident driver, I need to take my C1 test so that I can drive the stinkies around. However, I have no idea where to start.

Has anyone taking this test? Could you drive a 7.5t lorry beforehand? If you did a course of lessons, how much does it all cost?

I have had a squint at google and the general cost for an all in course and tests etc. seems to be about £1200 is this correct?

Is it worth me having a practice around the farm? And did I read/hear somewhere that I now can't go out with someone with a pre-97 license, even though they have driven several lorries in their driving history?!?

Sorry for the 100 questions, this is new territory for me Changing to a 3.5t van is not an option as ponies are too fat for a jaunt to the beach, let alone an overnight or 2 day pony party And even if I was to go down the 4x4 and trailer option I'd still have to take a test!

C1 test

Don't bother with a C1 test - go and do a C. Same training, same test, slightly bigger lorry but so what ?

A C1 will only give you up to 7.5 tonnes - which may seem plenty right now but a C doesn't restrict you and really isn't any harder to drive.

And yes, you are right. In order to supervise a learner for any cat C (lorry) or cat D(bus / minibus) the supervising person must have passed the relevant test and held that licence for at least 3 years (though if they hold a pre 1997 licence AND passed the C or D test prior to 1st May 2010 they will be granted the "3 years experience" bit).

I'm always happy to receive e-mails or phone calls directly folks and help and advice is always free.

newrider.com