Buying trousers for those with 'riders legs'

clare123

Mar 10, 2004
at the yard
Visit site
I've recently lost one and a half stones in weight, and went yesterday to try on a few pairs of trousers for work, to no success.

I am a typical pear shape at the best of times, my thighs in particular are quite a size, I am sure riding doesn't help with this!

Outside work I wear stretchy or skinny jeans, leggings with little tunics etc but I don't feel these are great looks for work...

So, can anyone recommend certain shops, ranges or styles/cuts of trousers to cater for the larger legs? In particular work type smartish trousers.

Or should I be thinking of skirts instead? Though not really me lol.

I've lost weight too. I bought a pair of skinnier jeans at Gap as recommended by my daughter. I too shall be shopping for something "tidier". My previous smarter trousers - black trouser suit which I still wear - came from Hobbes and were always an easy fit. So I may look there.
If you are already wearing skinny jeans of a brand you like, can you buy black work trousers from the same shop?
Which shops did you try and was the problem the normal one for me that anything that clears my hips is too loose round the waist? I have a couple of pairs of trousers which let you take the waist in a bit with little straps at the side - but these fancier adjustments tend to push up the price of the trousers. But my new jeans are too big round the waist and settle on my hips - so that one is forced not to buy high waisted trousers. I bought a nice belt after I lost weight - to hold my summer trousers up.
My solution to looking smarter in jeans or trousers is to wear a tailored blazer or jacket. My most recent last autumn came from Zara. One thinks of Zara as being for smart skinny people but I bought extra large. I also bought OH some clothes there, including a summer jacket.
The thing is to look in the shop windows and on line and see the sort of thing you like - and if it doesnt fit you in the brand where you first fancied it, you can then go and look for similar in other places like M&S. I need to see clothes on models or in pictures before I can get an idea. And then the idea needs testing. I tried on about 10 different stripey summer tops in John Lewis sale before finding one that fitted - and even then went back on another day to try it again and buy it.
Give yourself time is my advice. I have to say that, as I myself havent even begun looking!

I have always found M and Co trousers good - I am short legged - size 12 on the bottom and they nearly always fit me just fine. When I worked in an office and had to be smart that's where I'd get mine from. I had a suit from Next but although the top half was good the bottom was a bit tight around my middle.

Bootleg or wide leg trousers are the best fit for me as a pear shape.
I've found Evans to be great at creating a range of trousers specific to each body shape but sadly (or not!) I'm getting too skinny for their clothes!!!

Skinny jeans? I can only dream as its never going to happen.

Even when my BMI dropped to be in the low 20's, 'normal' cut trousers wouldn't go near my calves and thighs and only XL neoprene chaps would fit but it was a bugger trying to stretch them enough to do them up.

I can only wear wide legged (pyjama style) trousers if in non stretchy material. I like to look for materials with 5% Lycra content in them and then I can wear bootleg or straight cut jeans but these look like skinny fit as they are tight on my legs.

Favourite shops for me are M&S and M&Co.

Skinny jeans? I can only dream as its never going to happen.

Even when my BMI dropped to be in the low 20's, 'normal' cut trousers wouldn't go near my calves and thighs and only XL neoprene chaps would fit but it was a bugger trying to stretch them enough to do them up.

I can only wear wide legged (pyjama style) trousers if in non stretchy material. I like to look for materials with 5% Lycra content in them and then I can wear bootleg or straight cut jeans but these look like skinny fit as they are tight on my legs.

Favourite shops for me are M&S and M&Co.

Have you ever tried Gok Wan's skinny jeans? They are fabulous and tbh the only ones that really fit me like they're supposed to fit - ie, comfy and actually quite flattering! I've tried other Sainsbury's Tu ones, they are okay, but nothing compares to the Gok brand. I have a generous tummy and they flatter and hold that in (not saying you have:redface:) but overall I can't fault them. Just a thought.

I am getting to the age where I will be sitting on my waist! Seriously my thighs are a problem, I wonder now why the jodphurs back in the day had those excess sides!

I have had the humiliation of trying to find riding boots that either weren't too high i.e. cut into back of knee, or did up.....

I found the toggi jodhs forgiving and as flattering as they are ever going to be in that size.

But I have now lost 1 1/2 stone since riding again and giving up wine - so perhaps that helps a little.

I have had the humiliation of trying to find riding boots that either weren't too high i.e. cut into back of knee, or did up.....

I found the toggi jodhs forgiving and as flattering as they are ever going to be in that size.

But I have now lost 1 1/2 stone since riding again and giving up wine - so perhaps that helps a little.

That's fab weight loss (always assuming you wanted to lose some). Since switching to 2% lager I have lost a little - but then Saino's stopped selling it!!! It's come back now tho.
Know what you mean about boots!!!!! I used to be scared of getting stuck trying them on.

I just hate buying trousers full stop! I have stickthin legs but like a bit of comfort round the waist, too so I tend to end up with size 12 (14 at times) trousers that then end up too baggy on the legs ...

Have you ever tried Gok Wan's skinny jeans? They are fabulous and tbh the only ones that really fit me like they're supposed to fit - ie, comfy and actually quite flattering!

Normal jeans fit me like that!

If I see some I'll try them but tbh I'm not even 5% hopeful of getting anything skinny over my calves, let alone my thighs.

It was my pursuit of normal legs that led to me going too slim elsewhere. I'm never going to have normal, let alone slim, legs. I know that now and have made peace with it.

Don't get me started on boot buying :banghead:

They may not be skinny jeans proper JC, one pair are called ankle grazers, from Dotty Ps and another are probably technically straight legs from Tesco, but like you on me they are skinny! I cannot buy jeans without stretch at all. And I can't get Primark trousers over calves! I am a large in half chaps.

Thanks for advice Skib, I really dislike shopping and am busy most of the time, I probably do need to set aside some time for it. Though ideally would like to lose another half stone first.

I do have the loose waist, fine on hips problem but also the fine everywhere but cellulite on show problem too lol.

Bootcut in Next were awfully clingy on thighs...I am sure I used to like them too

Trewsers I will definitely try the Gok jeans, we have a Sainsbury down the road.

I have large thighs and bum and then always end up with too much space at the waist, however once i find jeans i tend to stick with them until they change styles so I was in peacocks bootcut for a while then red herring and now per una (but m and s own brand dont fit? Go figure..) my smart work trousers for the rare times i am not in jeans are m and s and george, both seem to have nice wide legs..

newrider.com