Buying online

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I need to buy some replacement batteries. One for a watch (little man who does watch repairs has decided to retire because of covid now nobody local) and some for a phone. As you lot seem to be pros at online buying can i pick your brains.
Am i best to create an account with amazon. Obviously loads of people buy off amazon so i assume its good. Although i assume that they just sell stuff from stores affilated to amazon. Whats this prime thing they advertise. Presumably if goods dont arrive if using amazon because its third party you just contact amazon.

Or should i go to somewhere like ebay. I know they sell new stuff but you lot have scared me off that.

I just bought some watch batteries and one for our Mash-get-Smash fridge magnet (he does the robotic laugh remember those adverts - you might not be old enough lol)
I got the batteries off ebay. If you look for a seller with minimum 99% feedback you'll be fine. Ebay are very good at sorting things out if you don't get your item - paypal is great really. I know what you mean, you've probably read a few threads where I've said things have gone pear shaped on ebay but in the end you do get a refund.

Reactions: MrA
Here is a screen shot of the batteries I got. They might be too big for your watch - but I'm sure you can get the smaller ones, I've had those too.

Screenshot (27).png

I also wanted to say, yes Amazon is good. Personally I don't find the same choices - (mainly because I like to browse a lot of second hand things and Amazon is nearly all new). I've had good service from everyone I've bought from via them and things generally come fast. Don't be tricked into opening a Prime account though or trialling one unless you're going to benefit from it. Every time I check out it pops up trying to get me roped in. But I don't have a telly and wouldn't benefit from all the deals connected with viewing etc.

I thought the prime thing was something to do with the buying, forgot about the tv thing. Didnt know the prime thing was for tele. I dont need that.

I thought the prime thing was something to do with the buying, forgot about the tv thing. Didnt know the prime thing was for tele. I dont need that.

I'm sure the Prime thing is something to do with getting access to the latest series of stuff? Lol I'm probably talking twaddle now hahahaha. But you do get free delivery on just about everything, so I guess if you were ordering loads regularly it would be worth it. And sometimes they do deliver eerily fast. My friend ordered something and it came the next day which was a Sunday o_O

Amazon Prime is a subscription which allows you to watch box sets and some films on Amazon prime for free. It has added benefits like free postage. Families can share subscriptions i.e. with parents and children.

Buying through amazon may reduce the sum that goes to the retailer registered with amazon but you as customer get help if things dont arrive.i.e a refund.

I have been buying a lot through amazon since lock down last March. Not just books but some hard to get food stuffs and spices.

OH bought a new watch battery from
Phoenix Power Equipment Ltd via the amazon site.

I bought replacement hearing aid batteries but I dont think I did that through amazon. I used either Boots or an NHS supplier to make sure it is the genuine article.

My view is it is best to check the location of firms one is ordering from on amazon. To be sure the goods are coming from Europe and not the Far East.

Since lockdown Amazon has been my best friend. I bought so much stuff that half the time I forgot what I ordered and it was a surprise when it arrived. I don’t really like supporting such a huge giant of a corporation and I usually prefer to shop locally, but when this wasn’t an option I went a little crazy.

Reactions: Skib
Thanks all. Ive bitten the bullet and brought several things from amazon. We shall see. Several of the things i havent been able to get locally.

Prime is great, getting everything on next day (or sometimes even same day) delivery for free is lovely and tbh as much as I use it that pays for itself in no time, and having tv and movies to watch on tablet or computer is nice too ?

I still use eBay a lot too, yes you get the odd snag but not often and I’ve mostly found sellers very good at sorting out any problems, I do always pay by PayPal for online purchases so you have some added protection there.

newrider.com