buying my first horse

james29

May 24, 2012
well my time has came when i think im ready to stop loaning and buy my first horse.
thought i wud share my story of looking and buying my first horse.
im looking for a horse which is 15.3 upto 16.2ish and maybe bigger if its the rite horse but has to be good for a novice rider but still have that bit more there for when i get abit better lol.
i realy seem to like tb for some reason lol just think they look and move realy nice.

started looking on saturday just gone and went to look at a cob from a dealer and he was just to small for and a little young so just walked away.
then we looked all over the internet and phoned a thew but nothing much was catching my eye.
so we went to see my old instructer and she gave us a number for a chesnut tb mare who is 12.
so went to see her on the sunday just gone.she was a luvly looking sweet mare and not fussed about anything kinda thing.but what the dealer didnt tell us before we turned up was that she had a cut on her hind leg and the bottom of leg was swallon so she had been on box rest for a thew days.
so anyways they tacked her up and rode her and she looked sore and stiff but did get better the more they rode her and she did look realy nice and chilled out still.but i didnt want to sit on her while she was like that so im going back this saturday to spend abit of time with her and and have a ride.

then got a phone call about a welsh d gelding who is 8years old and was surpose to be a total novive ride but he was to small for me at on;y 15.1 he was chunky and such a good looker but just for me.
then we phoned up a different tb mare bright bay and was only 2mins from were i keep my loan horse.
they said she is a easy going mare and not fussed who rides her and 99% bombproof and a hack.
she was sooooooooooo nice and when the owner was rideing her i was like wow she looks so nice and easy to ride.
so my partner sat on her first and rode her round ok but when she got off she didnt look impressed but she doesnt realy like tb's anyways so i jumped on and tensed up.dont realy know why but carryed on and she was just not for a novice and she was so senitive to leg that she just wasnt any good for me and was abit gutted that my rideing wasnt good enuf for her as realy liked her but hey ho just not for me i guess.

so yesterday was back at work thinking if i will find anything what i like and keeped looking nall over the interenet.have found a couple of dealers whaty think they might have sumthing for me but will see what happens at the weekend.
bvut then i get a random number txt my phone and say that then owner of the tb i tried who was to much me gave them my number as they have a tb gelding for sale and is a nice safe horse and never to forward going and is a total gentleman and again 99% bombproof.
now i work away from home monday to friday so my partner went and seen him last night.
she has fell in love with him and he does sound realy nice but i have always prefered mares for some reason and my past two loan horses have been mares and the horse i used to ride at my rideing school were always mares lol
but now my partner doesnt realy wana go back and see the chesnut mare because she thinks this gelding is perfect for me and i just said i wana see both of them on saturday and see how i feel on them because i have to feel safe the second i sit on a horse other wise i will just jump off lol

so hope this isnt to borring and will keep posting after i seen a thew horses and hopefully find my perfect horse.

it is a very exciting time, and i think you are right trying both horses out on the weekend....and picccccciiiiieeeesssss please! good luck on sat!

O yeah I will take loads of pics this weekend of what I will be looking at.
Going to see what happens on Saturday with these two then see what happens on if I want to look at more or not.
Will keep posting as stuff happens lol

Nothing wrong with geldings. I've had worse experiences with mares than geldings though with their behaviours in seasons. Obviously something wrong with the mare that tensed up when you rode her though, could have potential problems down the line. I presume your partner is more experienced so sounds like the gelding could be ideal.
Good luck in your search.

O yeah I know there's nothing wrong with geldings just that I seem to get on better with mares but I wudnt say no to a gelding.
Na it was me who tensed up not the mare.she was fine just that rideing wasn't good enuf for her as she was sensitive to leg so no good for me lol
This chesnut mare what I didn't sit on is always stuck in my mind and realy looking forward to sitting on here on Saturday.also taking my partners auntie who is our instructor along with us

Not boring at all!! It will be great to hear about your journey to find your perfect match. It was not so long ago that I was looking.

I too tried out a horse that was too sensitive for me too , I could not stop him and went round and round the arena full pelt. Nightmare!

I agree with the others that you should go back and try the mare that you liked, if not, you will always wonder. If you view as many horses as possible, it will help you decide on wat you really want.

All the best in your search and please keep us updated :smile:

Yeah 100% going back to see the chesnut mare as she is always on my mind lol
She has done alot of endurance rides and some dressage which is good as that's the way I wana go.
But still gota see the gelding as well as he does sound like a good boy

O hang on I can upload a couple of pics of the mare that was to sensitive for me.
Still a shame as I realy liked her

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

she was called maggie lol

Yeah, nice mare, but as you say you are a novice so don't really want a sensitive horse. Its like giving a learner driver a porsche to drive.

Yeah I know it's a shame.
The rite one will come along.don't get me wrong tho I don't need a total plod as the little warmblood I got on loan at the moment she is just rite for me in that sense as you just use abit of leg and off she pops which I like but Maggie wasnt she just a tiny bit of pressure and she was off lol bless her.

I am a little with Wiz in that you don't want anything too sensitive, especially as you class yourself as Novice, it doesn't take long to take any confidence on the wrong Horse, BUT I would also say any 'new horse' will be different to your loan horse and it will be a new learning curve whatever you buy.

If you buy something KNOWING its sensitive and forward going you will learn to ride her according to that as you would a plod that needs plenty of leg to keep it going.

Have fun looking, just take your time and don't rush into ANYTHING....you will know when you meet the one for you, its an exciting time, so take your time, don't rush and buy the wrong one, as lots of people, INCLUDING ME, have done in our time, its horrible when you get it all WRONG !

Time taken now saves lots of worry and heartache down the line, so although sometimes it seems 'endless' and you wonder if you will ever find the 'right one' YOU WILL...................:wink:

Don't limit yourself to any 'breed' look at EVERYTHING that sounds suitable to widen your search.

HAVE FUN LOOKING :biggrin:

Well you were placed 1st and 2nd in your recent dressage comps on Abbie and you have a very experienced GF on-hand, so I wouldn't necessarily say you were 'novice'. And also since you have been only riding a very short time you appear to have a lot of natural ability. Unless Abbie is an angel and you just sat on her :wink: Also is that you jumping in your pics??

If you want to compete then in my view you need to look ahead a year or two and buy a horse that will be a suitable partner for the future. Maybe you'd be better off loaning for another 6 months or so as I assume you are still on a steep improvement curve with your riding and what you would now consider 'sensitive' or 'sharp' you may later consider 'responsive' and 'athletic'.

Good luck anyway. :smile:

I do think that when buying horses alot of it is about gut feel...and you sound like you adore the chesnut mare :inlove: When I saw Bob for the first time there was something about his lovely face and his nature that I fell in love with.

You still need to ride her several times and be happy with the way she goes, and of course a good vetting, but from experience the one you fall in love with is usually the one you end up with :skip:

Need pics!!!

Just a quick point.

Those pictures are of a bright bay horse, not a chestnut. Also she has what appears to be a rather large crack right the way down the front of her offside fore.

How is she bred? Looks Saddler's Wells esq (he's my TB's grandsire and he looks very similar, although she's chunkier)

Just a quick point.

Those pictures are of a bright bay horse, not a chestnut. Also she has what appears to be a rather large crack right the way down the front of her offside fore.

How is she bred? Looks Saddler's Wells esq (he's my TB's grandsire and he looks very similar, although she's chunkier)

Yeah that was Maggie (not the chesnut mare) the one who is to much for me even tho I realy liked her.
Don't know much about her breeding just that she is a tb mare lol

Last edited:
Well you were placed 1st and 2nd in your recent dressage comps on Abbie and you have a very experienced GF on-hand, so I wouldn't necessarily say you were 'novice'. And also since you have been only riding a very short time you appear to have a lot of natural ability. Unless Abbie is an angel and you just sat on her :wink: Also is that you jumping in your pics??

If you want to compete then in my view you need to look ahead a year or two and buy a horse that will be a suitable partner for the future. Maybe you'd be better off loaning for another 6 months or so as I assume you are still on a steep improvement curve with your riding and what you would now consider 'sensitive' or 'sharp' you may later consider 'responsive' and 'athletic'.

Good luck anyway. :smile:

yeah we did get our first and second place but abbie is such a little angle tho bless her.but iam just to big for her and abit to heavy as well.
na them pics are just me taking pics at shows its a little hobbie of myn lol.
i do want sumthing that will help me progress my riding but maggie was just to much for me,even my partner struggled with her.
at the moment i dont realy want to compete but do like the idea of it and if i find a horse that i feel safe on then maybe one day.but do like doing dressage tho lol
thanks for the comments tho

newrider.com