Buying my 1st horse...maybe

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
I'm seriously considering it.

I have been part loaning for over a year now and feel that the time is right.

However, then I start to panic as I am single, in full time employment and have 2 dogs (GSD's) and then worry it may be a step to far. I don't want to neglect my dogs as they are my faithful companions.

Is this normal? Did you all worry like this?

Finalncially, I can afford to do it. I plan to go on part livery as I work strange hours and could not be there at the same time every day etc I may need to be on full livery from time to time and can afford to do that too.

Can you guys tell me about your experiences please?

thanks

Oh my!

You could be me up until a couple of months ago, when I decided to just take the bull by the horns and go for it!

I too panicked about it and still will, I've only had the horse since yesterday. Will I have enough time? money? What if this and what if that. etc etc. The truth is, you will. It is a huge commitment and a life change but you know that already as you've thought about it hard enough.

I've been in the same position, loans etc but always wanted my own. I've done similar threads to yours too. I wanted to know when is the right time, the truth is, there isn't. As far as I'm concerned, you've thought it through as you've already weighed up your concerns and stated them here. Exactly what I did!

As for your GSD's I have one of those too! I plan to take mine out with the horse, eventually. In the mean time, he still know's he's loved and gets his walks.

I also work odd hours, shift work full time. I do DIY but assisted up to full livery when I need it, well I will do as I said, It's only been a couple of days!

Go for it, life is just too short.

It's just so exciting. I'm glad you had the same concerns that I have now.

I do have a good support network on the yard and I'm never scared to ask for help when I need it.
I spoke to YO earlier about it so feeling quite positive. I have a riding holiday booked for the end of September so think I am going to start looking seriously after that as I want to enjoy my holiday and not be thinking of a new horse back home.

As everyone on here told me a few months ago.... just do it, life is too short and you will cope, won't stop you worrying though, that just gets worse once you have your own.
You'll be fine and it sounds like you'll have plenty of support too... go for it!

You've got the back up and the facilities to do it so go for it!!:D Its always scary buying a new horse even if you've had horses before. Thats just part of the challenge;)

Once you've got them, you will wonder how you managed life without them:biggrin:

Would think that as you've thought about it in such detail you'll probably be an excellent horse owner so why not give it a try.

I'd feel lost without a horse! Had horses for 25 years and hope to never be without at least one horse. You sound like you'll be a great owner and have thought things through carefully- think you're right to wail til after the holiday too. Good luck!

newrider.com