Buying Injured Horse?

HoneyMonster

Feb 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Hi,

Some of you may know as I have posted about this before, but I have found a horse that I really like. Perfect in everyway, but it HAD a High Suspensory Ligament Injury. She did by getting stuck in a fence (I think:rolleyes:) but the vets around us (we have a limited supply!!) just said she was lame, however, her owner wasn't convinced! So eventually she was taken to Newmarket Vets, and had shockwave therapy (95% successful - so quite high, but obvz still that 5%) She has been sound for nearly two years, as of the accident.

A bit of background, she was bred at home, sire: hanovarian (Sp) dam: TB X Cleveland bay. She is 7, 16hh, and is a dressage horse. Was competed at high level, and can still do most of her old moves! She certainly wasn't uncomfortable when she spooked or when she flew over a tiny jump, about 1.20 higher! But all I will use her for is hacking, schooling, and maybe if I have the guts to go to local shows. My RI has a horse on his yard that had this injury and has fully recovered. I'm just a bit confused!

So do you think that it is a good idea to purchase or not? Sorry it's soo long! :eek:

Are they taking this into account with the pricing? Personally I wouldn't buy a horse that has any medical history like this, I don't see the point when there are so many other horses to choose from :)

i can't say it would be a good or bad idea as it has to be your decision but i bought my horse 3yrs ago when he was on box rest for a tendon injury to his hind leg, he has come sound from it and he enjoys hacking around and loves jumping. it hasn't given him any problems at all so i think i made the right decision in getting him, he is perfect in all ways.

if you get this horse then at least you will know about the injury and treatment, if you are only looking for hacking then i don't see a problem, but it would depend on what the vet said about future issues. sorry i probably haven't helped much though! :rolleyes:

Are they taking this into account with the pricing? Personally I wouldn't buy a horse that has any medical history like this, I don't see the point when there are so many other horses to choose from :)

She is price a lot lower than she would have been had she not have injured herself. I would normally not buy an injured horse, but... You know when you try a horse, you just feel that it's right, this happened... and i'm just a tad confused!

i can't say it would be a good or bad idea as it has to be your decision but i bought my horse 3yrs ago when he was on box rest for a tendon injury to his hind leg, he has come sound from it and he enjoys hacking around and loves jumping. it hasn't given him any problems at all so i think i made the right decision in getting him, he is perfect in all ways.

if you get this horse then at least you will know about the injury and treatment, if you are only looking for hacking then i don't see a problem, but it would depend on what the vet said about future issues. sorry i probably haven't helped much though! :rolleyes:

Thank you! I know it's my decision, but atleast hearing your story, shows that it doesnt always go wrong!

for what you are wanting to do with her, i don't think it would present a problem. My old horse had a bad front suspersary injury, which meant he couldn't hunt/event anymore, so i had him on loan to play with. We had 3 wonderful, sound years. We did some x-country, small (up to 1.15m) showjumping and i even took him hunting (on invitation of his owner). i was just incredibly careful with ground conditions etc. Eventually i lost him, but he was 19 and it was unrelated to his leg injury.

Hello,

I bought a horse without knowing he had previously been pinfired and had had a tendon injury within the last 12 months. I initially panicked but decided that for what I wanted him for, I would keep him as he was just gorgeous and I loved him to bits (still do!).

4 months on and I could cry when I think of the fact I almost sold him to a friend in panic (when I found out about his injury). I really could not be without him and even though he has just become lame for the first time since I had him, I know that I will just see him through and we will carry on together!

I would say that you have the benefit of knowing about his previous injury, you have felt a bond (which some people never do) and you are thinking about whether his injury will affect your needs. This is a good start and I hope that you feel comfortable in your decision, whichever it may be.

Most importantly, don’t let peoples biased judgement rule which decision you make. It is you who will be spending your days with him and living by someone else’s standards/ideals.

Good luck!

Ps You may not be covered by insurance for injury on the leg which he has had problems with, which may have some bearing on your decision. :eek:(

Its very interesting reading everyones posts, my horse is currently recovering from a tendon tear and is doing great with it. Before the injury i actually was considering either loaning her or selling her due to health reasons of my own. She is a wonderfull big horse and i can understand why people would be wary but on the other hand how mant people have bought horses that have passed vettings and are sound but also have had similar injuries in the past. I personally would be open and upfront about it for the sake of my horse but there are a lot of people out there who wouldnt tell you.

I am hoping that i will still be able to find my horse the right home as much as it will break my heart to part with her

newrider.com