Buying a new horse - heart or head?

With the Stormster it was different as I had seen her loads of times but convinced myself she was too small for me and that I would squash her!!! Anyhoo, one night I decided to have a sit on her and she smelled so lovely and I liked her lovely face - and despite being taken on the fastest, whizziest hack of my life I decided later that night to buy her. She seemed so small after riding Joe and the RS cobs! I have to be honest though, she wasn't totally perfect for me, but she has taught me lots and personality wise she has blossomed.

I didn't consider Belle at first, it was only after I had tried three others for sale at the same yard that I was talked into 'just try her while you're here' ..... soon as I sat on that little rather rotund mare I just had to have her, nothing to do with looks, she just felt so solid and safe.. the rest is history :D
So for me it wasn't really heart or head, more just a really practical choice for what I needed at the time but with the option to be more when/if I was ready.

Reactions: Trewsers
For me it was heart with my horse, but at the moment we are looking for my daughters first horse having out grown her pony and it will be with my head that we will choose her horse. I hope there will be a smidge of love at first sight, but I'm buying it for her and it if doesn't match my exact criteria we will move on to the next one. My daughter choose her previous pony not the one she has outgrown, prior to him and it was a total disaster. I didn't want to buy him as I didn't think he was suitable but she pleaded with me that he was and she loved blah blah, and he was totally unsuitable, luckily I sold him to a friend who rehabilitates horses and she has found him to be incredibly tough going and definitely not suitable for a child. So if "Mama" aint happy we aint buying!!!!!!

I thought EXACTLY the same thing, Trewsers, when I saw Cherry! And I originally went to see her just as a share..... two weeks later, she was mine!

Combination for me - It was not love at first sight for me and Sam, the weeks trial took care of that, he was the right type, safe type and well known to the person who was looking with me, I was so lucky to find Sam he is a true superstar.

Definitely heart over head with Raf. He was totally unsuitable on paper and I definitely wasn't going to buy the first horse I saw and definitely not buy any horse on the first viewing, but both me and OH were totally smitten and ended up rushing to the nearest ATM to get the deposit money out.

Although ... the first horse I really, really liked at the RS where I used to go was a gorgeous little Haffy mare who I adored and she was for sale. Something held me back though, not sure what, but I just kept umming and ahhing and eventually she was sold to someone else.

With OH's horse, Jack, we had put feelers out and got a tip that he was for sale at a dealers not too far away. He ticked all the boxes and we took YO along for a second opinion so it was much more of practical purchase. I can't feel the same about him as I do Raf though - although he's really sweet and I'm very fond of him I could bear to part with him as long as he was going to a good home. I can't say the same about Raf - after my family, he is my world!

Weird 0 I replied to this earlier but it's not there. Anyway, I know it should be head, but it's heart all the way. Like buying a house!

Well me and OBC went back and rode her, and she was perfect, so I've made an offer. EEEK! She is on for more than I have, but they said they'd consider a sensible offer, so fingers crossed...in fact everyone keep everything crossed for me!

Reactions: Rubic
No idea, I've left a message with my offer on the owner's voicemail and emailed as well. Will post as soon as I hear! She did say the right home was more important than price - and knew what my budget was - so just hoping someone else hasn't gone in with a better offer, really!

newrider.com