Buying a cheap saddle

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
I am in a fortunate position. I can afford to buy the best - horses, tack etc. Our RI's yard is phenomenally expensive and everything is lovely, tack included.
But not everyone can pay. Thinking of the cheap saddle in which I happily rode - The present day price is under £300.

What saddle could one buy for that money or less ? If one is not a trained saddler - Wally has professional expertise.

I would generally opt for a better quality second hand saddle vs a new cheaper made one, so you can get a good saddle for under 300 quid that way. I have brought a cheap saddle, but it was specifically for showing and would be used 4 or 6 times a year for all of about 10 minutes each time and that was a calculated decision of risk vs cost & use, my everyday tack was far superior quality.

Reactions: Ruskii and tikkitti
After my misfortunes with saddles (over £2000 spent !) I would go for a quality second hand one each and every time.

New saddles are like new cars, use reduces their price immediately. I have only once in my life bought a new saddle. That was 40 years ago and it is still in use. Generally we buy second hand ones from the old fashioned saddle makers and if necessary get our trusted saddler to adjust them to fit. The only 'cheaper' saddles we buy are Thorowgoods which not being leather and having plastic trees are far more robust for daily RS use. A base model new however is still over £400, I would be concerned at the quality of a new saddle produced to sell at under £300

Reactions: Ruskii and Wally
I knew I wanted a leather one, an adjustable one but couldn't afford it new. I spent 6mths roughly watching ebay for one. I got a Kent and Masters brown leather, adjustable just what I wanted. £300. I arrange delivery £15-£20 , can't remember now, £120 for saddle fitter, fitting , flocking where needed. Beautiful saddle only used for shows just didn't fit new horse. I love this saddle.
A good second hand is fine.

To bring eml's comment to the fore, I got my Frelsi, BNWT, never used but been tried on the horse so technically second hand. New saddles of that make and Model are over £1300. I got mine better than hlaf price.

I paid £1100 for my Jeffries hawk event saddle brand new. I doubt I'd get £250 for it second hand despite it's immaculate condition. My thorowgood dressage saddle cost me £90 in robinsons sale. Bought then checked by a saddler so add about £80 for fitting etc.

I'm just getting kezzie fitted for a new saddle. Again looks like it may be a new one as I'm not seeing very many super wide saddles second hand just now.

I buy brand new if I need to but I prefer brands second hand to brand new things like shires saddles etc.

I'm have a preference for thorowgood/Kent and masters saddles as they don't aggravate my back as much as some other brands have. I would rather buy a second hand one of the above if I can get one but have bought my last three TG saddles brand new.

Thinking on this as I've decided to sell my saddle, I paid over £900 for it (Ideal Saddle) and it's immaculate as well, but have no idea on how much it would be worth now !

I sold my ideal grandee and ideal H&C a few years ago. I got £450 for both which in my opinion was well below market value. But I needed the money for a new saddle so had to take what people would pay.

I bought mine new from a selection of new saddles, all of which I tried, and had it fitted to Roxy - I specifically wanted a new one after a couple of second-hand ones just didn't work for us, and my saddler keeps her horse next to mine, which is v handy for quick saddle checks as needed!

If I only had £300 to spend, I would certainly consider a new synthetic one, but I would always pay for a saddler to come out and fit it to my horse anyway. £50 well spent imo!

With fitting I paid around £1100 for wombles m2m saddle company. Which I expect to last him for a while!
I would always buy a good 2nd over a cheapo new, I did look at the throwagood t4 cob (about 400 quid new at the time) but opted for the SC as it had much better reviews. And I do love it!

I agree with most people on here a second hand good quality is far better than a new cheaper version - you only get what you pay for !! I did buy my western saddle new but it did cost over 2 thousand pounds but its worth every penny to me as it is so comfortable

I've been looking for sometime at this Freemax western saddle on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Freemax-T...176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20ff625650

The trouble is I think it is overpriced. Other second hand Freemax saddles haven't sold for much more than £200 recently, though I know that Western ones are dearer.

A brand new one from the stockist was £645 and they reduced them to sell, none in stock anymore.
There are now Freemax knock offs on EBay, not the original models. Those I think are sold in Spain.

newrider.com