Builders rubble: 0 - Grass: 1!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Rode the Stormy one last night after the builders had departed and decided to try and tempt madam into some investigation! We had a good time in the arena and then I bravely asked OH to open the gate (brave for us as its two months since we strode out). My idea was to introduce her to the weird growing pile of rubble currently sitting on the back field outside the outbuilding. Anyhoo, it was obviously all very mundane and boring as we crept closer I got off with the intention of leading in hand and getting her right up there to face it. Ha! She got close to it alright - but was more interested in eating the grass (truly forbidden fruit as she's never been on that part of the field). So, I think it was a success. Tonight we ride in the arena, then Chloe comes with us in hand up the hill. We nibble en route and then on the way back pay homage to yet more builders rubble and examine their left behind equipment. I think the grass will win though for both of them!!! It built my confidence a little though, makes me wonder if a mini hack and a grass reward might be in order, keeping us both happy!

I often use "picnics" as a reward on a hack, I think it's a great training tool, if you ever needed to stop and dismount and hang around they already have it sussed. When my loaner was scared of cantering Bo we built a routine, up this hill then stop and chill at the top, by the time she had the confidence to canter up it all he was doing was thinking about stopping at the top for his treat :p

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh we have reward spots dotted about all over the area.:p If I can get a good canter and a very nice trot and then walk even when heading back for home, I allow a little nibble whilst I get my breath back at a very juicy and green x roads. If she is being a tit we march straight past it and she doesn't get to pause and nibble until she is listening and going at the speed I want....we then compromise and have a rest at the next grassy nook en route!:D

What a good girl Storm is, I hope Chloe is as good tomorrow - sure she will be. I also used grass as an experiment once - let Raf graze while we waited near the level crossing

Well the cement mixer is here today so I am going to lead her over to it at lunch time. I don't think Chloe will react but last time Storm met a mixer we had 0-60mph up the hill with me clinging on in a very un-elegant position lol (how I stayed on I can't remember but it was interesting when we reached the top!)

newrider.com