Bug Rug!

*Sez*

Salsa & Solstice Twilight
Sep 12, 2003
North Yorkshire
salsachronicles.blogspot.com
I am thinking ahead this year!

Which fly rug would you all recommend for a horse that trashes rugs in minutes?
Last summer, I left Salsa without a rug, and he ended up reacting to some bites and chewing chunks out of himself :eek: . I bought him a cheap Rhinegold flyrug which was essentially just mesh and towelling, but less than a week later, he had ripped it into rags. It wasn't expensive, but I was really unhappy about it. I know some of the more expensive ones are made of better material which may be harder to rip, but I'm worried about forking out a fortune on a rug that I KNOW will only last me one summer season... but on the other hand, buying a few cheaper rugs will probably cost the same... :confused: What do you all think?

Sam used to have a Masta fly rug before i got him his Boett.He kept it pretty much in fine condition and he suffers really badly with sweet itch.I imagine they'd be fine for you to use.They seem cheaper than a few other makes too.

I bought a Masta fly rug for my horse and it seemed to last quite a few years despite him being turned out with other horses. I have a 6'3" one which has never been used if you are interested, simply because I bought the wrong size and never got round to returning it! :eek:

I bought two cheap ones the summer before and they was trashed in ten minutes. Bought two masta ones last summer off ebay for around £40 and they still look brand new, never let my boys down and they wore them 24/7. Just washed them again and put them away for summer.

I don't like the Masta ones - YO rang "you need to come and take this rug off your horse, he is rolling none stop and there are hundreds of flies in there". But Masta don't fit him.

I have the Weatherbeeta Fly Shield. Didn't have a problem with it last year, and it's a little big.

The thing is if you put it on when the problem has already begun, ie flys have already bitten, they are more likely to trash them because they are trying to itch the bites under it :eek:

I have a Bucas (I think) combo one which is soft and really good - has been worn 2 years so far, it did come up a bit small though, Phoenix was %'6" normaly but this fitted him and is a 5'9".

I also have 2 Mark Todd combos and they are really good, used all last summer at a yard that was on water meadows so more flies than you would ever believe and they have held up really well (and wash easily too) and do a good job too :D

The horses seemed to be happy with them anyway :D
poniessummer2006048.jpg

I have the Rambo Swee Itch Hoody, but he has trashed this on the fencing so wouldnt recommend it-will def buy a cheaper one this year.

Quite like the look of the Derby House fly rug-dunno if anyone has used it???

I have the rambo sweet itch hoody for my pony who has sweet itch and so do two other ponies on the yard and none of them have got trashed, well mine has because i didnt open the field gate enough and it ripped on the barbed wire :rolleyes: He also never itched with it on, or if he did it didnt rub any of his mane or tail out, although was a bit late as he'd already got rid of a lot.

I really like them they fit well and i'm definitly going to buy another one this year to replace the trashed one :rolleyes:

newrider.com